Sign in to follow this  
Pete5

Sound.Dll not letting game load

I tried installing a panel but I caused the sound.dll to crash the game on startup, I tried looking for the sound.dll in my CD but it was not there, is there a download where I can get the default sound.dll so the game will load?

You should find it in :-

FS9\Disc2\MSGAME3.cab\SOUND.DLL  

Colin B

You should find it in :-

FS9\Disc2\MSGAME3.cab\SOUND.DLL  

Colin B

thanks

Good to know how to find files on the discs even though replacing that .dll will probably not fix the problem.

The sound.dll crashed the sim either due to it reading bad data or missing data.

What panel addon are you trying to install?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hello:

I wish I could recall the name of the freeware add-on which I used (briefly) years ago with FS9 which caused it to crash, but be aware that there is at least 1 or 2 older add-ons which used module and/or gauge coding with a explicit path, which required that a Sound.dll file be physically located in a "non-standard" location ...in the root FS2004 folder at:

[FS9 install path]\

and not in the (otherwise almost always seen) "standard" sub-folder location at:

[FS9 install path]\Modules

I was able to get the add-on in question (sorry... can't recall the name) to run without crashing FS9  by putting the Sound.dll into the root FS9 folder rather than the \modules sub-folder.

FYI: The add-ons 'ReadMe' file did not mention the requirement of a non-standard module location, and the included auto-installer for the add-on had failed, IIRC, because it was originally released for FS2002.

I had done a "manual install" for FS2004 from the ZIP file, resulting in a crash when I next started FS9.

After a web search I found (1) FS forum thread somewhere which mentioned a troubleshooting fix for that (obscure) add-on, stating one must put the Sound.dll file module into the FS9 root folder rather than the \Modules sub-folder; I tried that and it worked. :Whew:

BTW: Adding the optional [OldModules] sub-section to FS9.Cfg did not 'work around' the crash with the add-on I am referring to above.

Adding the optional [OldModules] sub-section to FS9.Cfg will, however, allow certain legacy modules to run without the FS "prompt pop-up" asking for permission to run the legacy module(s) from wherever they are located (assuming they otherwise are capable of working correctly in FS9).

IMHO, the scenario I referred to above is an example of why it is not a good idea for explicit paths, file extensions, and 'non-standard' file locations to be used when coding certain FS addon modules / gauges.

Hope this rather non-specific info might help someone with troubleshooting the occasional "odd" add-on from the past. :smile:

GaryGB