Sign in to follow this  

Hi Hi,

I fly FSX and to give me work and enhance the whole experience of flying I use FsCaptain.

A lot of the time the FsCaptain program can't give me the latest weather from some 'Weather Stations' as they are 'Not Set in FS).

I read somewhere that Microsoft no longer deals with Jeppen and maybe this is why.

So, as the title suggests - If I purchase and install Active Sky Next, will all the weather stations in FSX get updated and become active again ?

I do fly 'Bush' quite a lot. So I am flying near to the smaller weather reporting stations.

Thanks in advance for any information on this. I have tried to search for an answer with no luck.

Cheers

Terry

Yes, FSCaptain has the ability to read weather from ASN (or any AS product).

EDIT:  Sorry...I re-read your post.  I'm not sure about smaller airstrips at it would have to be in the WX snapshot ASN creates.  That I cannot verify for you.  But FSCaptain indeed has the capability to read ASN weather.

Here is an an example of the text file FSCaptain reads.  You can see the list of airports.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ev_FU35-OhdHpfS1ZiY2RvYWs/view?usp=sharing

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Hi Netshadoe,

Yes am happy with the way FsCaptain reads the weather data - when it is present.

My question was if ASN updates the weather stations in FSX, so that they are all in use again.

Some of the FSX ones are in need of updating.

Hope this makes sense :)

If I understand you correctly, no, it does not replace FSX data.  FSX data is stored in .bgl files and would be a huge undertaking to fix all airports around the world.  Instead, ASN "interpolates" these small airstrips using "known" data from close reporting stations.  Unfortunately, these stations are not included in the weather snapshot.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

So any weather station which currently doesn't report in FSX due to not being updated over the years, will still not report even after installing ASN ?

You know if you choose to fly with 'Real World Weather - updated every 15 mins' in FSX and the latest, live weather is taken from the local stations.

It is the weather stations I am thinking of not particularly airports. Although some airports are weather stations I know.

Again, I'm not clear on what your looking for. I apologize.

I've never used FSX weather, so I'm not sure how it works and how it sets the information in the sim.

Using a local example of where I am, the small airport here in Ottawa, CYRO, does not report weather. So in ASN, it is not listed in that document, so it won't show up in FSCaptain.

But, if I am in the area of CYRO in the sim (I think 80 miles or so), the weather is set at the station by whatever weather engine you are using and FSCaptain can read the info from FSX. If you are farther away than that limit, you will get the "weather not set in FS" from FSCaptain.

This may be more of a question for the FSCaptain people as they understand more on how FSCaptain obtains its info.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Thanks again for the input.

I have posted the question in FsCaptain forums. Although I am sure their ACARS only displays weather info which it has gleamed from the

current METAR's or whatever, that is generated by the weather engine your using, after it has been downloaded from the net.

Meanwhile if anyone can shed any more light on this it would be great :)