Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Gear compression when landing

Ah, to quote another poster on one of these threads ".....she's like a beautiful woman who hurts you but you come back...". I walked away but couldn't stay away.

So today's question is this: do the mains compress when you touch down? I have a habit of replaying my landings to grade myself and I noticed that the gear doesn't seem to compress as the aircraft touches down and the wings lose lift. Has anyone looked at this? Is it my imagination? I have other aircraft where the compression is very clearly observable. Sooo, I've begun experimenting with softening the spring constant of the mains.

Thoughts?

That is a very good point about P3D/FSX more generally,  because I have never been able to observe proper gear compression on any aircraft .  I am not a user of XPlane, but Xplane has gear compression physics nailed pretty well.  

There are many aircraft for FSX that model gear compression extremely well IMHO - but so far, the best I have seen is the Quality Wings Bae146/AVRO RJ - its actually somewhat mesmerizing to watch on replay how the landing loads get soaked up -  truth be told I have never checked on the S550, as I think I have been distracted by all the things that aren't quite right about the package as a whole, though I do enjoy the plane generally...

I am making some progress by adjusting the spring constant and damping ratio. I make such darn good landings that the loads are transferred slowly and the compression is difficult to see but definitely there  :)