Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

I Give Up!

I am running FSX SE, Saitek X-55 controls, Saitek pedals, and LINDA 2.5.7. The latest paid-for FSUIPC.

Well, I got 2.5.7 installed and set up the A2A C-172 perfectly. Got every button and switch to work just like I wanted. Took 'er up for a few flights, and was very impressed. So my next task was setting up my Carenado Grand Caravan EX.  Since there was no module for it, I simply loaded it up, and started TRYING to make things work. I started out with the default FSX lay-out, and it already had the Parking Brake set for my joystick pinkie switch. Worked great. Next was the flaps - Incr up and down to two switches on my throttle. No work. I tried setting the elevator trim with a rocker on the throttle. No work.

Then I decided that I had not created a module for the C-208, so I clicked on NEW, named the module Carenado Grand Caravan, grabbed the search string from my FSX Simobjects list, and said to copy from existing FSX Default. When I go back to select Joysticks, with the Grand Caravan as the selected aircraft, I get an error: The Specified File was not found. Now, if I used the Default FSX template to build the C-208, where did it go, and why isn't anything working?

--- NEW LOGGING SESSION -----------

simobjects\airplanes\Carenado C208B_Grand_Caravan_EX\C208ex.AIR
System time = 06/04/2015 22:14:51, Simulator time = 12:34:31 (16:34Z)
Aircraft="C208B Grand Caravan EX"
Starting everything now ...
LUA.0: beginning "D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\ipcReady.lua"
LUA.0: ended "D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\ipcReady.lua"
LUA.1:
**************************** START ******************************
LUA.1: [iNIT] Loading...
LUA.1: VRInsight MCP Type = 1
LUA.1: VRInsight MCP Set = mcp
LUA.1:  Aircraft: C208B Grand Caravan EX
LUA.1:  Air file: simobjects\airplanes\Carenado C208B_Grand_Caravan_EX\C208ex.AIR
LUA.1:  Aircraft module detected: Carenado Grand Caravan
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-aivlasoft
LUA.0:  [LIB] AivlaSoft library loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-fallback
LUA.0:  [LIB] FSX standard library loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-FS2Crew
LUA.0:  [LIB] FS2Crew library loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-fsx
LUA.0:  [LIB] FSX Functions loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-IVAO
LUA.0:  [LIB] IVAO library loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-realityxp
LUA.0:  [LIB] RealityXP library loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-user
LUA.0:  [LIB] User Library loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-VATSIM
LUA.0:  [LIB] VATSIM library loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-vrinsight
LUA.0:  [LIB] VRInsight Function Library loaded...
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-weather
LUA.0:  INIT loading optional library: linda/libs/lib-a2amap
LUA.0:  [LIB] A2A MAP library loaded...
LUA.0:  LINDA: Initialling Common Variables
LUA.0:  Setting Common Init Vars
[E] *** LUA Error: ...X\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\linda/system/init.lua:53: module 'linda/aircrafts/Carenado Grand Caravan/actions' not found:
no field package.preload['linda/aircrafts/Carenado Grand Caravan/actions']linda/aircrafts/Carenado Grand Caravan/actions
no file 'D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\modules\linda/aircrafts/Carenado Grand Caravan/actions.lua'
no file 'D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\modules\linda/aircrafts/Carenado Grand Caravan/actions\init.lua'
no file 'D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\modules\lua\linda/aircrafts/Carenado Grand Caravan/actions.lua'
no file 'D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\modules\lua\linda/aircrafts/Carenado Grand Caravan/actions\init.lua'
no file 'D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\modules\lua\linda/aircrafts/Carenado Grand Caravan/actions.dll'
no file 'D:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\modules\lua\loadall.dll'
Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
HID - Switch Device 2
HID - Switch Device 1

At this point, I have no idea how to set up LINDA for any aircraft that doesn't already have a module designed for it. If I could use the Default FSX template and build from there, it would be easy. but none of the commands work when I assign them from the Default FSX list. I tried the command, the key input and nothing worked. At this point, I'm ready to uninstall LINDA and go back to FSUIPC, where I never had a problem. This is frustrating.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi Gary

Congratulations on trying to take LINDA further and sorry to hear you are experiencing a few problems.  I will briefly try to answer your questions.

In order to use LINDA with a particular aircraft you need a Module specifically written for it (and their a many available), write you own Module or use the FSX Default module.  The FSX Default operates using the standard FSX functions and MAY work fine with your aircraft.  In order to successfully write a bespoke Module you need information from the simulator provider on the interface used normally known as a SDK and Lvars.  Without this information and access to the add-on, you are on to a loser.  I have no knowledge of the Carenado Grand Caravan so I can only tell you what is missing in your set up.

The first red error line tells me that there is no module set up for the Grand Caravan.  You should have or need to create a folder named \Carendo Grand Caravan in both the fsx\modules\linda\aircrafts and fsx\modules\linda-cfg\aircrafts.  LINDA will populate the latter folder, but in the \linda folder you need 3 files: actions.lua, ident.lua and readme.txt.  If you are creating your own module, you need to copy these files from FSX Default or a similar aircraft from the same supplier.  This is just the starting point.  You then need to learn how to program in LAU and write or adapt the functions to work with your chosen aircraft.  This is not a quick exercise and requires a good level of expertise and patience.

We on the support side of LINDA can only provide new modules based on popular demand and on our available time. After a winter doing solid development, I myself have limited time to do any LINDA support at present due to other commitments.  I hope you understand and that the information above explains your frustration even it does not offer you a way forward.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi Gary

Congratulations on trying to take LINDA further and sorry to hear you are experiencing a few problems.  I will briefly try to answer your questions.

In order to use LINDA with a particular aircraft you need a Module specifically written for it (and their a many available), write you own Module or use the FSX Default module.  The FSX Default operates using the standard FSX functions and MAY work fine with your aircraft.  In order to successfully write a bespoke Module you need information from the simulator provider on the interface used normally known as a SDK and Lvars.  Without this information and access to the add-on, you are on to a loser.  I have no knowledge of the Carenado Grand Caravan so I can only tell you what is missing in your set up.

The first red error line tells me that there is no module set up for the Grand Caravan.  You should have or need to create a folder named \Carendo Grand Caravan in both the fsx\modules\linda\aircrafts and fsx\modules\linda-cfg\aircrafts.  LINDA will populate the latter folder, but in the \linda folder you need 3 files: actions.lua, ident.lua and readme.txt.  If you are creating your own module, you need to copy these files from FSX Default or a similar aircraft from the same supplier.  This is just the starting point.  You then need to learn how to program in LAU and write or adapt the functions to work with your chosen aircraft.  This is not a quick exercise and requires a good level of expertise and patience.

We on the support side of LINDA can provide new modules based on popular demand and on our available time. After a winter doing solid development, I myself have limited time to do any LINDA support at present due to other commitments.  I hope you understand and that the information above explains your frustration even it does not offer you a way forward.

Thank you so much for this reply! I have gone over both the LINDA manual and the Guide, and never read in them what you have just told me. It seemed to me that when I created the module in LINDA, it would automatically build the needed files and folders...there needs to be a short tutorial somewhere about how to "build" a new aircraft module.  I have already tested most of the functions that I want to assign to LINDA in the Carenado, and so far, all of the default FSX commands work. I even used the LINDA window to try the controls and see what the output was, and confirmed that (for instance), the flaps showed 65758 Flaps_Incr and 65759 Flaps_Decr when I used my mouse to actuate them on the Caravan. Had I known that I could just copy the default FSX files over to the folders (and known which folders to create - LINDA did create Caravan folders in both the "linda" and "linda-cfg" folders, per my entries in the LINDA New Aircraft section), I would probably be flying right now. I just thought it was all done by LINDA, and I didn't have to do that part manually.

I look forward to getting this thing working, and maybe when you get a little more time, you'll do the Carenado Grand Caravan EX. Thanks again! I seem to spend more time trying to set this stuff up than I do actually flying nowadays. And it gets a bit frustrating.

BAck to the drawing board!

P.S. - I have found out that in the linda/aircraft/(my aircraft) folder, the files are config-mcp.default, and I had to change one of them to config-mcp.lua before anything would start working. Can't find anything in the docs about this, either.

-= Gary Barth =-

I am glad I have helped point you in the right direction. Creating new aircraft modules is not something I would expect to find in the basic user manual. I am not the expert on writing new modules, my expertise is better placed supporting the core LINDA software. I am afraid limited time hits all of us in how much we can dedicate to further developments and adding new modules.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Well, maybe I expected too much from LINDA - I kinda thought that having modules to download was a little extra, and that LINDA could be used with all of the aircraft. I knew about the default FSX module. But the choice on the LINDA page to create a new aircraft made me think it was as easy as putting the new name in and assigning (maybe) the default FSX actions to it automatically.

I don't think that programming should be in the introduction manual, but it might help if it was explained how to do what you explained to me in your first post - create two new folders, and copy the default FSX files into them. At least, there wouldn't be a dodo like me asking why what I did failed. :huh:

I'd like to learn more about the programming aspect of LINDA, but right now, if I can assign the FSX functions to my Caravan, I'll be one happy camper. Thank you again for helping me with this.

-= Gary Barth =-

Well, I got LINDA to accept my new Caravan - at least no errors popping up. Got the flaps and trim set up using the default FSX commands. So far, so good. Now for the switches. Picked SW1 ('6' on the LINDA throttle page), and tried the default FSX command for the Battery toggle. Nothing. The mouse throws the switch nicely. So I fired up the LINDA tracer, clicked on Log FSX Controls, and clicked the Battery switch - results showed:

[C] Control: 66241 - 0         TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY
[C] Control: 66241 - 1         TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY
[C] Control: 66241 - 15        TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY
[C] Control: 66241 - 22        TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY
[C] Control: 66241 - 13        TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY
[C] Control: 66241 - 16        TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY

And so I went back to the Joystick page, with the Caravan, and chose Set FSX Control, and found the parameter TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY 66241, and assigned it to switch 6. Saved, and...nothing!  The default is 66241:0, and I notice that the logging shows it jumping back and forth between 0 and some other number.  I tried several different numbers with no results. Am I doing something wrong here?

-= Gary Barth =-

As you can see, Carenado uses several parameter numbers with control 66241

SImply because you can see a number in the LINDA tracer doesn't mean you can use it.

Creating a module isn't a simple task and I have now several years of experience so I know the "tricks" of several developers.

However, every new plane is a new secret sometimes.

Unfortunately I do not use any Carenado planes, so I can't help in that specific case.

Maybe you can make something with FSUIPC offsets?

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have thought that both LINDA and FSUIPC logging showing the same parameter (TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY) when I clicked on the BATT switch would mean that the FSX Control would have worked, at least.  It didn't.

For me, LINDA is not working out to be something that I can install and use. Although there is a NEW button when you click on Aircraft, it's not a simple task to do so. If there is not an existing module, it's a painstaking process to create one. I did find modules for my A2A aircraft, and WIP ones for my PMDG NGX and 777, but I rarely fly the default FSX A/C, and right now, it is so much easier to program my stuff using FSUIPC, and just click on those switches I can't program. And I hate to use LINDA and FSUIPC at the same time due to possible conflicts.

SO - for the time being, I am backing out of LINDA, and using FSUIPC as much as possible. As I stated previously, I'm spending more time programming, debugging and figuring out this stuff and less time actually flying. When it stops being fun, it's time to retreat. I'll keep watching...maybe some later version will work easier. Or maybe all of my A/C will have modules.

Thanks again for the input.

-= Gary Barth =-

I'm back! And hopefully, I can make this thing work with LINDA v 2.64. The first thing I'd like to know is if I can use FSUIPC for those aircraft that won't work with LINDA. If you read back over this thread, you'll see the problems I had specifically with the Carenado Grand Caravan. Is the rule, LINDA for everything or no LINDA?  If I can use the modules that work for LINDA and program FSUIPC for those that do not, I think I can make this happen.

For instance, if I save my FSUIPC.ini file and then delete it so a new one will be created, and then set up LINDA for those aircraft with modules, and then go back and set up FSUIPC for the Carenado (and any other planes that won't work with LINDA), then I'll go ahead and give it another shot. I was impressed that there is already a new module out for the A2A Comanche, which I just purchased. And the RealAir Turbine Duke is there, too. So I hope that the "mix & match" plan will work.

BTW, maybe someone can do the module for the Grand Caravan EX. If that happened, I'd have all of the aircraft I currently use with modules in LINDA. (Hint, hint...)

-= Gary Barth =-

Hi Gary, welcome back. LINDA works alongside FSUIPC4 and you can mix and match what you use. If you wish to assign a device (joystick) button in FSUIPC4, then make sure you don't assign anything to that button in LINDA. I am sure there in no need to keep deleting FSUIPC4.ini for each aircraft. It can remember settings for different aircraft. If you have LINDA running it simply needs an empty dummy module for that aircraft.

The creation of a module for the Grand Caravan is really dependent on user demand, the availability of SDK by Carenado, the donation of a licence and my colleague, Guenseli, having the time to do it. I hold out no promises.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK