Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

No liveries - Steam Install

In the FSX-SE.cfg I have referenced the simobjects from my FSX install using the full path. This works for most aircraft and ai aircraft but not for PMDG and one other payware developer.

Hi, Mark,

The following works, referencing a texture N701DN in FSX:MS on my C: Drive from a texture folder inside the PMDG 777 folder in SIMOBJECTS/AIRPLANES on my D: Drive.

Note that I had to put in "..\..\..." enough to get to the top level of D:, and then add the path to the texture on C:

I also copied the thumbnail.jpg from the full texture file in FSX:MS to the "dummy" one in FSX:SE.

This aircraft does show up in the OC under FSX:SE, BTW.  But it obviously cannot be installed using the OC.

I haven't tested this in flight so I don't know if it will affect performance.

-------------------------

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\..\..\..\..\..\..\C:\Flight Simulation Programs\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 777-200LR\Texture.N701DN
fallback.2=..\texture.vc
fallback.3=..\texture.common200LR
fallback.4=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.5=..\..\..\..\texture
-------------------------

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi, Mark,

If you are trying to save some space by having only one set of textures for each livery, instead of one set in FSX:MS and another set for FSX:SE, it is POSSIBLE that you can use the texture.cfg file to reference the textures in FSX:MS from FSX:SE.  I THINK the following will work.

This assumes you have the PMDG 777 itself installed in both versions of FSX, and that all of your actual addon livery textures are in FSX:MS.  It also assumes that you know how to add livery entries manually in the aircraft.cfg file.

All you would need in the FSX:SE aircraft folder would be a folder with the name of the livery, and one small texture.cfg file.

Here is the full texture.cfg file for a typical addon:

-----------------

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture.vc

fallback.2=..\texture.common200LR

fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

fallback.4=..\..\..\..\texture

-----------------

Here is a modified version that adds a line at the top referencing the texture you want in FSX:MS. 

-----------------

[fltsim]

fallback.1=[FULL PATH TO TEXTURE IN FSX:MS]

fallback.2=..\..\PMDG 777-200LR\texture.vc

fallback.3=..\..\PMDG 777-200LR\texture.common200LR

fallback.4=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

fallback.5=..\..\..\..\texture

I don't think the OC will be able to handle this sort of aliasing, so you will probably have to ignore it as far as liveries in FSX:SE are concerned.  But it should still work fine for installing new liveries in FSX:MS.

Mike

Hi, Sunny,

It looks to me like there is something missing in the Windows registry.  If you compare your log to Mark's log, above, you will see that his shows that the OC found both versions of FSX and yours did not.

Did you install the FSX:SE (Steam) version before you uninstalled the FSX:MS (Boxed) version?  If so the OC may be confused because it is looking for the FSX:MS version.  Also, how did you uninstall FSX:MS?  

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes i first installed the FSX:SE after using the FSX:MS for sometime. And when the issue started I decided to uninstalled the FSX:MS version hoping it would solve the problem. I uninstalled using Windows7 under control panel -> Programs and Features.

so what is the next action plan?

Many thanks for your prompt reply

sunny

so what is the next action plan?

Many thanks for your prompt reply

Hi, Sunny,

It sounds like you uninstalled FSX:MS in the proper manner.

One question that occurs to me:  Are you using the most recent version of the 777, which would include an OC that can recognize both versions of FSX?  The most recent version is 1.10.6492.  If the OC isn't showing it, look at the top of the aircraft.cfg file found in FSX/Simobjects/airplanes/pmdg 777-200LR.  It should look like this:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
//
//            PMDG 777-200LR
//        
// Current with Build: 1.10.6492
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If you have the correct version, then read on:

I am not an expert on the registry but there are many threads on registry cleaners/fixers on Avsim.  However this is a tricky area and one must be very careful when editing the registry. 

Why don't you try starting a new thread in the PMDG General forum with the topic something like "OC not finding FSX in Registry".  You can post your OC Log in your opening post.  The discussion here is kind of buried in a long thread on a somewhat different issue.  Be sure to explain that you first installed  FSX:MS, then FSX:SE, then you uninstalled FSX:MS using Windows uninstaller.

Mike

PS: One other thought -- this may or may not help you with the current issue.  But eventually you might want to completely uninstall and reinstall FSX:SE, since it will then name certain important folders the same as for FSX:MS.  The PMDG 777 and NGX can deal with the different FSX:SE folder names, but some other addons cannot.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi, Sunny,

It sounds like you uninstalled FSX:MS in the proper manner.

One question that occurs to me:  Are you using the most recent version of the 777, which would include an OC that can recognize both versions of FSX?  The most recent version is 1.10.6492.  If the OC isn't showing it, look at the top of the aircraft.cfg file found in FSX/Simobjects/airplanes/pmdg 777-200LR.  It should look like this:

//

//

//        

// Current with Build: 1.10.6492

If you have the correct version, then read on:

I am not an expert on the registry but there are many threads on registry cleaners/fixers on Avsim.  However this is a tricky area and one must be very careful when editing the registry. 

Why don't you try starting a new thread in the PMDG General forum with the topic something like "OC not finding FSX in Registry".  You can post your OC Log in your opening post.  The discussion here is kind of buried in a long thread on a somewhat different issue.  Be sure to explain that you first installed  FSX:MS, then FSX:SE, then you uninstalled FSX:MS using Windows uninstaller.

Mike

PS: One other thought -- this may or may not help you with the current issue.  But eventually you might want to completely uninstall and reinstall FSX:SE, since it will then name certain important folders the same as for FSX:MS.  The PMDG 777 and NGX can deal with the different FSX:SE folder names, but some other addons cannot.

Hi Mike

Here is the current version which i downloaded from pmdg website. It's the latest if not wrong but the version is different than yours. Maybe because i am using the base package unlike the previous FSX:MS service package SP1d.

//

//

//        

// Current with Build: 1.10.6320

regards

Sunny

Here is the current version which i downloaded from pmdg website. It's the latest if not wrong but the version is different than yours. Maybe because i am using the base package unlike the previous FSX:MS service package SP1d.

Hi, Sunny,

You definitely have the wrong version installed.  If you purchased the 777 from the PMDG web site, you need to go to PMDG, log onto your account, and download a new, complete installer.  Note that this is not a patch, it is a new, full install.  The file name may look the same, but if you download the full install from your account, you will get a complete install of the newest version.

If you have the boxed version of the 777, you need to go to the Aerosoft web site and download the new version through your account there.

For reinstallation, take a look at the following threads:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463861-installing-fsx-and-fsxse-updates/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/471487-install-patch-1d/

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi, Sunny,

You definitely have the wrong version installed.  If you purchased the 777 from the PMDG web site, you need to go to PMDG, log onto your account, and download a new, complete installer.  Note that this is not a patch, it is a new, full install.  The file name may look the same, but if you download the full install from your account, you will get a complete install of the newest version.

If you have the boxed version of the 777, you need to go to the Aerosoft web site and download the new version through your account there.

For reinstallation, take a look at the following threads:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463861-installing-fsx-and-fsxse-updates/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/471487-install-patch-1d/

Mike

Hi Mike,

You are right about the version. I went into the pmdg account logged in and re-downloaded the package and this time the version is correct. But unfortunately, it still doesn't solve the issue. I guess worst come to worst, i really do need to uninstall FSX:SE and re-install back again. I also run the registry mechanics from pmdg. That too didn't help.

Sunny

You are right about the version. I went into the pmdg account logged in and re-downloaded the package and this time the version is correct. But unfortunately, it still doesn't solve the issue. I guess worst come to worst, i really do need to uninstall FSX:SE and re-install back again. I also run the registry mechanics from pmdg. That too didn't help.

Hi, Sunny,

Did you completely uninstall the previous version (after running the OC to keep the liveries, if possible)?  If not, try that before going any further.

Before you uninstall/reinstall FSX:SE, it would be a good idea to file a ticket with PMDG.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi, Sunny,

Did you completely uninstall the previous version (after running the OC to keep the liveries, if possible)?  If not, try that before going any further.

Before you uninstall/reinstall FSX:SE, it would be a good idea to file a ticket with PMDG.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I did uninstalled the old version completely and even deleted whatever folders regarding pmdg plus cleaned up my registry. I should have saved the liveries from FSX:MS so i can copy manually the files into FSX:SE which i found it worked but then it is not the right way of doing it right.

Anyway i have already submitted a ticket to PMDG and pending for their reply. Hope there is a solution..

sunny