Sign in to follow this  
jay907uk

Uninstall & re-install FSX couple questions

Hi Folks,

I'm going to un-install FSX and re-install it again onto my pc but just wanted to ask few questions.

1) My pc is networked so will I need to un-install ASN & and both SimConnect Clients & FSX SP2 SDK and the install them again so FSX will connect correctly when using FSUIPC & WideFS?

2) Which is which out of the Client pc & Server pc as I'm never sure?

3) I've got my VAS usage numbers displayed on top left of FSX but can't remember how to get that to show up the numbers again once I've installed everything?

4) I read about installing any add on scenery into Country Folders so you only have active the necessary countries your flying from & to is this a good idea? Have others done this?

5) With Scenery such as Flytampa , Aerosoft , FSDreamteam and the various others do I browse to the country folder before installing and if so does it cause problems when using FSX? And if any Add on managers need to be installed? 

6) When using Scenery Config it's correct that you untick any scenery not needed? Which improves VAS usuage ?

I've found few posts on removing and re-installing FSX aswell as using ASN to setup the Network config but would appreciate any help on my few questions or other advice others may have. The links below I got from using google which looked very helpful.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421848-installing-fsx-againits-been-a-while/

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Again any help with questions / advice / other links would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Jason Thompson

3) I've got my VAS usage numbers displayed on top left of FSX but can't remember how to get that to show up the numbers again once I've installed everything?

This is done via the FSUIPC utility which you would have to reinstall.  See page 3 of the AVSIM CTD Guide on how to set it up.

4) I read about installing any add on scenery into Country Folders so you only have active the necessary countries your flying from & to is this a good idea? Have others done this?

I do not think that's a good idea.  For instance, FSDT Las Vegas should be higher up in priority in the Scenery Library (i.e., near the top) and the State of Nevada photoscenery (if you have it), would be much lower.  I have all my commercial airports at the top of the Scenery Library, the MSE Ultra HiRes stuff, then MSE State Photoscenery.  MyTrafficX or MyTraffic6 is just above Propeller Objects.  Countries, like the UK, France, Italy, Korea, Japan, etc., etc., would normally be just above MyTrafficX, then any commercial airports.

5) With Scenery such as Flytampa , Aerosoft , FSDreamteam and the various others do I browse to the country folder before installing and if so does it cause problems when using FSX? And if any Add on managers need to be installed?

When you install any FSDT airports, let the installer install the airports inside FSX.  That's the easiest.  It will automatically install the latest Addon Manager which, of course is required.  For reinstallation of FSX, I doubt you have have to reenable the airports as it should see the backup in C:\.  I reinstalled Windows and then FSX and moved all my backup folders to where they were backed up and all my airports were activated when I first started up FSX.  Doesn't always work that way though.

6) When using Scenery Config it's correct that you untick any scenery not needed? Which improves VAS usuage ?

Only when you have photoscenery should you untick any scenery not needed.  I have all of my commercial airports enabled (about 10 of them) and they do not affect VAS as long as you are not flying near them.  For instance, an FSDT airport in Las Vegas will not affect VAS if you are flying in California.  Photoscenery will load everything all over the world if enabled whether you are within 100 miles or 10,000 miles away.

See my comments in red above.  Why are you reinstalling FSX?  They say moving your fsx.cfg to a temporary folder and then letting fsx rebuild when you restart is the same as reinstalling FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your reply. I just thought that I'd do a complete re-install of FSX as I've heard it's a good thing to do.

I've not got any issues with FSX from what I can see and when I use it. The only issue is with Ezdok which I still need to sort out as my views have been buggered up.

Would you recommend not doing this then only if you have serious computer problems?

Thanks

Jason 

Jason Thompson

I've not got any issues with FSX from what I can see and when I use it.

Then the last thing I would consider doing is to uninstall/reinstall FSX if it is working well. Not sure where you heard it was a good thing but I think that the overwhelming opinion (unless you have incurable problems, are getting a new PC, or installing a new hard drive) would be not to do it. Getting FSX to work well is a bit of a dark art and there’s no guarantee that it would work as well when you've finished. Spend your time sorting Ezdock and flying!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Vortex thanks for your post. I'll take both yours and Jim's advice and not to do it just to sort my annoying problem out with Ezdok.

Thanks again

Jason

Jason Thompson