Sign in to follow this  
era66

A2A Piper Cherokee - Too realistic?

I recently bought the A2A Piper Cherokee and am still getting use to how realistic it feels to fly. No doubt I'll need practice. One thing I can't seem to understand, which someone hopefully can explain, is that on take off and initial climb, the plane always want to roll left regardless of the wind direction, even in calm winds. I find myself wrestling with the yoke to keep it level. Is this realistic for this plane? What's the proper procedure then?

era

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Right rudder is required on the takeoff & initial climb. If you don't, they'll yaw left, and then want to roll a bit. Since I'm always using right rudder, as I always did when flying the real thing...............I haven't noticed the Cherokee wanting to roll. I just use enough rudder to maintain the runway center line on the roll, and initial climb. Once airspeed increases, the left yaw decreases.  I do find this Cherokee to be very realistic.

Just took the Cherokee up for a quick test. Right rudder and no roll...................perfect. Let go of the rudder while on initial climb, and it will left yaw, and begin some roll. Build up airspeed, and the roll diminishes. Perfect!  Just use right rudder, as I previously said.

Basically, it does the same in real life. 

Just as long as the sim pilot realizes that you don't use the yoke to control a left roll after takeoff. The wing may quickly dip one direction or the other (or not), and we just quickly pull it up with aileron.  Right rudder is the correct control to use. And it must be used. Otherwise the plane yaws to the left, and roll coupling from dihedral in the wings causes some roll. Use rudder correctly, and there will be no need to use yoke/aileron, as is noted in the post.