Sign in to follow this  
paulwilko10

FPS Drop On Approach!

Guest Mik75

But EDDL is not light at all!

Maybe the freeware airport scenery is. But the urban area and the city itself, is one of the most demanding places to fly over in Germany, just as Berlin!

The lower you get, the more details get loaded, so it's pretty normal that frames go down on approach.

I have a machine, quite similar to yours, and even with autogen density set to "normal", some city areas are highly demanding, as they are very detailed (streets, autogen buildings, etc.), and FPS can go as low as 13-15 on approach in the PMDG NGX and the Aerosoft Airbus.

DX10 had absolutely no influence for me on this subject.

My current FSX install is DX9, and other than the Highmemfix, it is totally untweaked. And I most definitely never had a more stable install of FSX.

But every system is different, and settings have to be made carefully, all sliders 2/3 up might be simply too much.

With all that being said, I think it's pretty natural and clear, that frame rate goes down on approaches, especially over dense scenery and in demanding aircraft addons.

My current FSX install is DX9, and other than the Highmemfix, it is totally untweaked. And I most definitely never had a more stable install of FSX.

Hm, maybe I should create clean FSX.CFG file? However... I also don't have many different tweaks as you see in post #22.

One more thing... what do you think about my nVI settings:

t2655054_nvi.jpg

For example: If I limit frames in FSX to 31, should I also limit them in nVI?

Hm, maybe I should create clean FSX.CFG file? However... I also don't have many different tweaks as you see in post #22.

t2655054_nvi.jpg

I recommend following a guide and trying if that works. avsim has a guide in one of the sub forums I think the hardware forum. Word Not Allowed has his blog that is very helpful. Nick_n has his guide on simforums hardware section.

I am afraid that the best you can do is to lower your scenery settings to increase your overall FPS. However, even then you won't be able to completely avoid the FPS drop on approach, especially if you have AI traffic running.

I noticed on my systems that the initial FPS can be quite good even at large airports, such as KORD. If you run considerable amounts of AI traffic, the FPS can drop by over 30% from just waiting at the airport within the next 15 minutes due to the traffic buildup. When I approach that airport (and leave the settings unchanged), it gets even worse, and it doesn't matter if I use DX9 or DX10.

FSX (and FSX-SE) is just not good at cleaning up the "garbage" that it leaves behind during a flight.

Guest Mik75

t2655054_nvi.jpg

After reinstalling FSX and using it in DX9, I got completely rid of the nVI.

And as I said before,I´ve never had a better pefroming and more stable FSX.

Trying to squeeze out things out of a piece of software, that it hasn´t been originally designed for, is asking for trouble! ;-)

Trying to squeeze out things out of a piece of software, that it hasn´t been originally designed for, is asking for trouble! ;-)

Hmm, but some options is needed to be set in nVI when using DX10Fixer, like AA-Transparency Supersampling, for example.

Guest Mik75

Hmm, but some options is needed to be set in nVI when using DX10Fixer, like AA-Transparency Supersampling, for example.

That's why I am back to DX9 with my current install.

I personally get better results, better FPS and a more stable sim with it.

I have conducted some test flights on an almost freshly installed Windows 10, FSX-SE and P3D v3, and figured out that using large amounts of AI traffic in combination with complex scenery add-ons (such as having everything activated in ORBX Vector) can drag your FPS down by 50% or more on approach/after landing in FSX (compared to the initial FPS). You could try to refresh your scenery on approach, which increases the performance during the landing and taxi-to-gate period on my test flights.

I have recently documented the FPS drop on approach / after landing. Here is the video:

Hi,

@Afterburner, as you suggest, I change VECTOR settings to your 'optimal' version - and maybe there is a little smoother. However, I still have several seconds freezing when approach to EPWA by DDesign (+ Warsaw City). On boxed FSX I didn't have this issue.

One more guestion... if I load 1024 clouds REX4 textures, should I edit FSX.CFG and set TML to 1024? (as you know, default value in Steam is 4096)

Lucas

Friends,

what do you think about this freezing when approaching EPWA? There wasn't a lot of traffic at Warsaw... maybe 4-5 aircrafts.

...and may I ask you about an answer on my question about TML parameter above?

Lucas