Sign in to follow this  
hangar

Some Quick & Dirty Changes for Fun!

Hi guys,

Been doing an awful lot of reading and research on the MU-2 lately and I made some quick config changes that I'm experimenting with. If you'd like to try it out just let me know and I'll send it to you.

cfg experimental changes for mu-2: (note, this has not yet been tested in a million  different ways so use it at your own discretion and make sure to keep a copy of your original aircraft.cfg incase you don't like it)

- adjusted torque -vs- speed -vs- attitude so plane can be flown at various weights (light or heavy) while exhibiting slightly more balanced performance that more closely matches its real life counterpart described in various flight critique articles around the web.

- removed most of the extra passenger weight so the plane will not load in fsx over-weight (pilot, copilot and baggage weights remain).

- made reversers a little bit stronger so you wont have to slam on brakes during short field landings.

- softened the autopilot banking just a wee bit for better comfort.

- easier to get rolling on ground when loaded heavy.

If you'd like to try it just send me an IM with your email.

*CFG UPDATE for the MU-2 v1.7*

So here’s what I decided for now… the 1.7 version of the MU-2 seems to be a nice improvement and is flying a lot better as you know. I mostly like 1.7 now, but I have made some small changes to it…mainly in “feel” rather than exacting numbers.

Here’s what I’ve changed for the 1.7 fde (my cfg version 4b):

- Added more roll inertia, slightly  decreased it’s overall roll and yaw stability to better simulate the high   wing feel, tip tanks and slight “swing” of the real mu-2 in flight.

- Removed a small amount of elevator effectiveness to better simulate the need for extra pull during takeoff rotation (would need to be worse in the Solitaire, but should still be noticed a bit in the Marquise).

- Reversed the flap pitch ( a Marquise pitches upward, not downward...Solitaire may be different though, not sure).

- Increased reverser strength 20% for improved short field landings.

- Decreased the minimum on ground beta pitch by 25% to slightly aid in slowing taxi acceleration. You should still need to use reverse on and off, it’s normal for the real plane. Setting a prop lever for the reverser axis in fsuipc works best in this sim plane.

- Softened auto pilot banking to 25 degrees max.

So here’s the bad news: (which as nothing to do with my changes and comes with the default plane)

- While the plane’s numbers and feel are good for a flaps 20 approach (the most common) , they are pretty bad for a flaps 40 approach. In the real plane you’re supposed to actually fly a flaps 40 approach at a faster speed than flaps 20 approaches (100-110 flaps 20 on final as compared to 115 for flaps 40)…but if you try this in the sim plane you’d laugh at the resulting nose down attitude. Flaps 40 approaches will work best then flown approx. 90-100kias in the sim. Not the biggest deal, right?

- The climb performance may be a little on the “eager” side (I have decided not to change it from it's original default version after much deliberation) but I feel it’s close enough…I think it may climb about 300-400fpm too fast at all altitudes when maintaining proper climb speeds of 175-180kias. It’s close enough though because even with this little bit extra it still simulates well enough, the fact that it’s not a rocket.

It's ready to send out but I just need to wait a couple days for Marty Baclawski to test it for me first. I want his opinion since he has flown right seat on a real MU-2 on a few occasions. (Thank you, Marty!)

If you'd like to try it just send me an IM with your email and I'll send it over to you in a couple days.

**My CFG version 4c**

Reduced Wing Efficiency –vs- AoA by approx. 11%

…this does 2 things:

- helps reduce the nose down attitude during flaps 40 approaches (you can now fly about 105kias at flaps 40 but thats max really, which is the minimum suggested by manufacturer of 105-115kias for flaps 40). Flaps 20 should be flown in sim around 110-115kias, reducing torque to 25lbs just before your nose crosses runway threshold. Your flare should be about 5-8 degrees nose up depending on weight & speed and then your goal is to be touching down at 99-100kias@23-25lbs. torque.

- helps reduce the slightly over-eager climb performance a little bit. You should always maintain 175-185kias climb speed.

The tradeoff is that your cruise speed will be just a few knots slower. You can still cruise at 300+, however might need to go a tad higher alt now (maybe 26k).

Ok...so Marty tested this and it seems that this is the version (4c) that he really likes alot so I'm going with it.

I also sent it out to Matt on the beta team (as requested), just in case Flysimware wishes to use it as a replacement for the current cfg.

If anyone else would like it just send me an IM with your email address.

Enjoy!

Ok...so Marty tested this and it seems that this is the version (4c) that he really likes alot so I'm going with it.

I also sent it out to Matt on the beta team (as requested), just in case Flysimware wishes to use it as a replacement for the current cfg.

If anyone else would like it just send me an IM with your email address.

Enjoy!

Got your email Dave. I will give it a whirl and get back to you. Thanks for your efforts.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST