Sign in to follow this  
Vanwolfenstein

Passing TOD and not getting a decent order from RC

As the topic mentions, I approach and pass the TOD marker, and as a trial  I don't do anything to see if RC will tell me to descend. I waited 2-4 minutes well passing TOD but no update or word from RC.  I have read as much as I could regarding the matter/ including the manual and tutorials. I'm not a noob in flight sims but am at Radar Contact coming from ProATC X. Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

RC calculates its TOD using the aviation 3:1 rule from your current altitude to the 11,000 (or FL110) or 12,000 (or FL120) crossing restriction altitude, not the airport surface altitude if it is using the airport altitude. If you are using an FMC you can add a fix at 40nm out from destination assigning a hard altitude of the appropriate crossing restriction. That should place the FMC TOD closer to RC's calc.

I use the Boeing Smiths type FMC. I put a range ring at 40 nm out from the destination and if I want use that as a guide to create a hard altitude fix. To create a range ring just put in \40 for the place bearing information and EXE. That will show where you must meet the designated altitude which is dependent on you approach pattern to the assigned runway.

Please read about PD requests on page 47. Normally  this is used to delay descent.

If you are on a short hop and going straight in there have been reports of RC hanging. Try requesting a lower altitude.

Ken,

Be aware that the FMC TOD and the RC TOD can be at two different points!

Usually the RC TOD comes up first and as a long term user of RC I have never come across not getting descent instructions except when I mess up!

The range ring tip is well worth implementing.