Sign in to follow this  
David1767

First time PMDG-er

I'm a newbie here (my first post), and I want to download the J41 from PMDG. Do I need an account set up first? Do I need to give ALL my personal details they ask for? I'm just wary, that's all. Many thanks for any help.

I'm a newbie here (my first post), and I want to download the J41 from PMDG. Do I need an account set up first? Do I need to give ALL my personal details they ask for? I'm just wary, that's all. Many thanks for any help.

If you want the J41, you need to buy it from PMDG's website, and to do that you do need an account. Don't worry, though. PMDG is one of the most reputable companies in the FS 'World', so your information is just as safe as it would be if you were to set up an account with Amazon or Paypal. 

Many thanks... I kind of thought so, but just wanted a little more info before I went ahead. And where better to get the info than here, which you just proved. Thanks again. :-)

My wife is the Pay Pal holder (with her e-mail address of course)... will that affect my purchases from PMDG after I set up my account? I just don't want to screw this up and have PMDG send the download file to her computer instead of mine, re the activation of the aircraft, because I will be buying the Boeing 777 as well...

When you sign up on the PMDG website, you'll be asked to enter an e-mail address as part of the details required to sign up. You create your PMDG account using your own e-mail address and then when you get up to selecting payment options, use your wife's PayPal information - with her permission, of course. Then, once you've downloaded the product, it'll ask you for the e-mail address connected to your PMDG account, not the PayPal account. I'm 99.9% certain I'm correct on that - it's been a while since I used PayPal to pay for something. If I may, can I suggest starting with the PMDG 737NGX? I know a jet may seem more complicated than a twin prop, but personally I've found the NGX much easier to master than the J41. Your choice, though! Welcome to the world of PMDG - you won't be sorry.

Thank you Matt... I've been FSX-ing for years... so I've done almost everything "aircraft-wise", but not PMDG, so I thought it was time to treat myself, and yes, the J41 seems nice and challenging. I have done the 'real' 777 simulator 3 times and it's quite the experience. I only have an i5 Processor and 4GB ram plus 1GB n-vidia graphics card, at present, but I'll be upgrading my PC system very shortly, to at least the i7 plus 16GB ram etc...I'll build a good FSX capable system. It's time I got immersed properly into the simming world. Yes, I'm looking forward to the PMGD stuff. Thanks for the welcome. :-)

will that affect my purchases from PMDG after I set up my account?

Yes and no. If you use her PayPal account now and then a credit card later, you'd end up with two different accounts in our system, so you'd have to remember which email address you used for each purchase. If you wanted to merge the accounts later all that takes is a support ticket to us with all the relevant info and we'll take care of it. That, or you can just purchase all of your stuff through her account and just be really, really nice to her for allowing you to do it  :P

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

One note is that full names - first and last - are required in the forum here. You can set up an auto-signature in your user settings (click on your user name at the top right) so that you don't have to worry about it in the future. If you'd prefer anonymity, you can always reach us at the link in my signature, below.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, I'll take care of the first and last name thing at the weekend, thanks, no anonymity needed.  Thanks for your info on the account, yes we always just use the same PayPal for everything, so it will never change, just as long as my PMDG downloads will come to my PC. I will be building a new PC in a few months time, maybe around "Santa" time. Will I be able to save my downloaded PMDG aircraft and re-install them on my new PC? That is my big concern. I think I'm going to enjoy the Avsim forum. So many knowledgeable people, and as I said, I have been "simming" for a long time, but want to get more into it as a hobby, rather than a pastime, with a quick flight in the 737 or 747 or whatever. There's much more enjoyment to be had in FSX (in my case). Many thanks again. :-)

I'm just reading up on the "Signature Rules" for Avsim, and I hope I have not written anything in my first few posts that I should not have. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon and keep within the rules. And as I posted earlier, I'll get my first and last name uploaded asap. :-)

PMDG have a good reputation in the community and produce high quality products. You can also purchase FS addons through third parties, although the price may differ, some of the biggest vendors are Aerosoft, JustFlight, FlightSimStore and Flight1 (of course there are many others and probably some to be wary of). Some resellers have refund policies if you are unhappy with the product, too.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Will I be able to save my downloaded PMDG aircraft and re-install them on my new PC?

Yep! You can access your download link at any time by logging into your account and clicking View Previous Orders. There, you can find your previous order and the download link will be at the bottom of the order page.

Kyle Rodgers