Quick question before I pull the trigger

I currently have a EVGA 780ti graphic card and have found somewhere that has refurbed EVGA 780ti for sale the card is a slightly different model to mine but by the same manufacturer ie EVGA

if I go ahead and buy am I liable to run into any problems, or must they be exactly same model and manufacturer or is it ok to have 2 cards that are the same model group ie 780ti but may have slightly different clock speeds

Thanks

Edit:.. or should I bite the bullet and buy a single 980ti  would a dual sli 780ti perform better than a single 980ti?

I'm currently only running a single monitor but going to 2 within a year or so!

Pete Little

I know the 780ti is a killer card, but I'm pretty sure the single 980ti will be more future proof than dual 780's. My best guess is a single 980ti will beat the sli 780ti's, but I don't have any data to back that up unfortunately.

I doubt that. Two 780's probably kick the hell out of a single 980ti for most applications. If the program isn't optimized for SLI, then maybe not, but I think that in general yes, two of those would handily beat the 980ti.

thanks guys

Do they have to be both identical 780ti 's or can they  be slightly different but from the same manufacturer

Pete Little

I doubt that. Two 780's probably kick the hell out of a single 980ti for most applications. If the program isn't optimized for SLI, then maybe not, but I think that in general yes, two of those would handily beat the 980ti.

I agree with you on that, dual 780ti in an sli optimized application would probably be best. From a sim standpoint sli is still not "official", to the best of my knowledge, but hopefully it's coming down the pipe.

I know the 780ti is a killer card, but I'm pretty sure the single 980ti will be more future proof than dual 780's. My best guess is a single 980ti will beat the sli 780ti's, but I don't have any data to back that up unfortunately.

I would listen to One who - who doesnt have a real name lol as He knows his stuff - but he should have bought a Maximus mb lol

thanks guys

Do they have to be both identical 780ti 's or can they  be slightly different but from the same manufacturer

Yes they need to be identical but manufacturer most likely does not have to be the same but why wouldnt you take the safe side and buy the same manufacturer 

Rich Sennett

I would listen to One who - who doesnt have a real name lol as He knows his stuff - but he should have bought a Maximus mb lol

Normally I'd agree! But in this case I can only guess because I have never owned a 7xx series card. Once both my 980ti's show up (I'm finally employed again!!) I'll be able give a real world analysis of how these beasts do in p3d. MaximusVII ftw anyday! Get ready for an epic skylake build coming up Richard!

Normally I'd agree! But in this case I can only guess because I have never owned a 7xx series card. Once both my 980ti's show up (I'm finally employed again!!) I'll be able give a real world analysis of how these beasts do in p3d. MaximusVII ftw anyday! Get ready for an epic skylake build coming up Richard!

Got yah Brother - take care Buddy

Rich Sennett

As long as they are the same basic hardware, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but you should check the manufactures website before pulling the trigger. Check nvidia site also for the basics of sli, it should point out a better answer to whether or not the part numbers need to match.

Got yah Brother - take care Buddy

You too, i might need some pointers on setting up sli!

Its easy enough to google graphs of these things SLI versus single. I don't particularly care enough to do the research, but if we are talking about gut feelings, I would be surprised if two relatively powerful cards like the 780ti in SLI don't easily beat a single 980ti. I wouldn't even be surprised either if even two 680's in SLI scored a better cumalative benchmark, depending on application.