Sign in to follow this  
Altidude

EFIS Panel Builder and Active Sky Next network issue

Hello,

I use wireless connection through a (Netgear wireless external USB adapter). I pay my neighbor and use her wireless internet and do not have a hard wired connection to my router from a modem etc.

I recently networked 2 computers together through my router. I cannot access the internet with a browser....ALSO- Active Sky Next- will not download real time weather unless I disable TCP/IPv4 through the local area connection "properties" box. This will allow an internet connection AND ASN will download weather as it should. 

The reason I networked the computers together is to run Simplugins' "EFIS Panel Builder" and a wireless "FMC" program remotely to increase my frame-rates (wideview also installed with plans for that down the road).

Problem I have is the Efis Panel builder will not connect between the 2 computers when TCP/IPv4 is disabled. If I enable TCP/IPv4, the EFIS Panel Builder works just fine, but I cannot download realtime weather.

My question is: How can I reconfigure the Efis Panel builder, router or computers to use TCP/IPv6? Or maybe set some static IP through my Netgear router? I am just not very good with networks and IP addresses etc.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.  Larry

PS- I noticed the "Multicast Group Address" setting in Panel Builder can be changed. Hopefully this could be something fairly easy to setup.

Larry Cox

My question is: How can I reconfigure the Efis Panel builder, router or computers to use TCP/IPv6? Or maybe set some static IP through my Netgear router? I am just not very good with networks and IP addresses etc.

I don't use panel builder but I have definitely had my share of networking problems over the years. If you could hit the windows key and c, type cmd, and in the command prompt window type ipconfig /all. Make that window big enough to display all the resulting information and take a screen shot of that (use the snipping tool) and you can either post it here or message me with it and I'll try to see what's going on. 

Thanks for your reply. It's nice when someone is willing to offer help instead of critisism as I see so often in flight sim forums.

I have switched to using a patch cable and all is well. I can access internet on both computers (wireless) and the program runs perfect. I picked up a "TRENDnet" ethernet switch the other day. Can I use this to acomplish a 4 computer network (my goal)?  Thanks for your help!  Larry 

Larry Cox

Larry,

Do you have your Router set for Routing or as an Access Point?  I'm going to guess it was as a Gateway (routing), but with the new switch you should be able to use your Router as a Access Point and also connect switch up to it. That should give you as "normal" a network connection as you're looking for.  Depending on the switch and how you set everything up, you can probably use a different IP range for your side, which would provide you with extra security (example: One of your neighbors computers becomes infection with a cloning type MALWARE, and can make it's way to your side).  Using a different IP range can be another hoop for the MALWARE jump though.  I also recommend you ensure he address range is "non-routable"..

Hope this helps!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks for your reply. It's nice when someone is willing to offer help instead of critisism as I see so often in flight sim forums.

I have switched to using a patch cable and all is well. I can access internet on both computers (wireless) and the program runs perfect. I picked up a "TRENDnet" ethernet switch the other day. Can I use this to acomplish a 4 computer network (my goal)?  Thanks for your help!  Larry 

Great to hear everything's worked out for you- you gotta have that internet! I don't own a switch myself, but I use an additional router which acts like one (I let the main router handle DHCP & DNS), although it does broadcast wireless, so technically it's an access point. It should be even easier with a dedicated switch as it should have to be barely configured at all, ie, you won't have to switch off DHCP (which auto-assigned IP addresses, with an unmanaged switch anyway) and you should be good to go. It might still be a good idea to assign static addresses if you haven't already. You can do that in Windows itself and it simple to do, and there are hundreds of articles online to help you out. I have never had to it on my router/access point before, but different models have different requirements

Dave's comments above was very good advice making sure you're router is set to access point which was probably the source of your original problems. His other advice depends, as he said, depends on the type of switch you've bought (nothing is ever straightforward in networking I'm afraid!).

If you have any problems with the switch let me know- I know there are some hybrid switch/routers available and that could cause conflicts with your main router. Hopefully not though. Feel free to post any other questions, however make sure you quote me, or I won't get a notification that you've replied. Or Dave obviously knows his stuff, probably better than me!

Happy networking Larry!

THank you for your help guys. I have acquired a hub and switch (free) and will use wireless usb for internet. Will post results when I get it set up.    Larry

Larry Cox