Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Got a very weird FSX issue.

Ok so I suddenly started having an issue with low FPS in full screen mode in FSX DX10 the frames in full screen would be around 17 while in windowed mode they were 150fps when I tested in DX9 mode they were normal .... I fixed the issue by installing a windows update the only issue is that the update is this one KB2670838 update,you know the one that causes the whole d3d11.dll crash issue. Now my flight sim crashes randomly but I have good FPS can anyone point me to a fix. Also KB2670838 is listed as a Directx update according to Microsoft so I'm guessing my original issue stems from a bad Directx file. I tried uninstalling the update and the poor FPS returned. A video of the issue 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hi David,

FPS issues are difficult to define.  There are facts though and you should be getting better frames in full screen mode.  You should first download and run AppCrashView (see page 1, AVSIM CTD Guide for the link and instructions).  Please provide details of the latest crash.  Hopefully it is the same faulting module shown for each CTD. Was it the d3d11.dll?  The d3d11.dll is a system file so it is your system causing the crash, not FSX.  FSX was just running when the crash occurred.  If you have SweetFX installed (or ever had it installed), then you need to delete these files and find a SweetFX program that is compatible with your computer.  The dxgi.dll for SweetFX is considered the offending file by many across the Internet so someone probably edited it and your computer does not like it.  SweetFX and/or the ENBSeries Modules are very difficult to get to working for many.  If the program works on one system, the exact same program will not work on others. 

KB2670838 is a prerequisite for installing IE10 or IE11.  It is not a DirectX update (it updates DirectX components and d3d11.dll is one of the components as well as dxgi.  If you uninstall this KB, IE10 or IE11 will also be uninstalled.  If this KB is causing problems and the infamous d3d11.dll CTD, then you need to uninstall the KB and that will take your Internet Explorer back to IE8 or 9.  You now have only one choice:  Install Firefox (recommended) or Chrome browsers and do not reinstall the KB or IE10 or IE11.  There is only one way to temporarily fix the problem with KB2670838 until Microsoft issues a permanent fix (doubtful). Go to the Control Panel, Uninstall a Program, select View Installed Updates from the left, and scroll down to KB2670838. Double click on it to uninstall. Once it is uninstalled, go to the Control Panel, then System and Security, then Windows Update, and click Check for Updates. Right-click the KB2670838 and select Hide.

Getting 150fps is possible but only with the default configurations, default scenery and default aircraft.  I suppose if you turned your FSX sliders way down to the left, it would give you great fps too but ugly scenery.  I got nearly 200 fps on my initial install of FSX with the default fsx.cfg.  I installed GEX (which replaces the default textures) and got nearly 300 fps with a default config.  But then one starts adding commercial aircraft and scenery and things go South very fast.  So-called tweaks like BufferPools, AffinityMask, etc., etc., will only cause more turmoil on your system and FSX if not properly employed.  If you do not have the right Microsoft.net's installed (they are not backward compatible), this will bring down your system too.  You need Microsoft.net 2.0 thru the latest version installed.  The vanilla FSX installed version 1.1 but that was replaced by 2.0.  Microsoft.net's are used by developers and Microsoft to make sure your application is running properly including memory management.  When FSX was first released, they used 1.1.  I have found that 2.0 works with FSX as the changes were not that major.  In any case, you will have version 1.1 on your system if you have FSX installed unless you went into the Add/Remove programs and removed it.  Page 7 of the AVSIM CTD Guide provides additional information.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the reply Jim, the main issue is I can't Uninstall Kb2670838 as it's the only thing that solves my weird fps issue. I'm guessing somthing has went crazy in my directx,sadly there is no way to reinstall directx by itself I think I might just try a a clean install of windows and a reformatting of my HD

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I doubt anything is wrong with your DirectX installation but, as I stated above, KB2670838 updates two DirectX components. If you want to check out your system for corruption or missing files, you need to run the program at the following link - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833 .

I have reinstalled Windows, FSX, and all of my FSX addons many times and that may be your only option left.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10