Sign in to follow this  
aireagle

Inject METAR manually

Is there a way to inject in fsx the weather from a given metar?

I mean: put in OMDB the weather described in a metar like this "13008KT 9999 SCT030 33/01 Q1005" 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

Without a weather program the best you could do is set your own weather inside FSX by manually entering the conditions.

Is there a way to inject in fsx the weather from a given metar?

I mean: put in OMDB the weather described in a metar like this "13008KT 9999 SCT030 33/01 Q1005" 

You can do it using FSUIPC, either writing a client application to do it, or, with a registered install, a small Lua plug-in writing the string to offset 0xB000. However, you might need to "massage" the METAR string a bit to get it into SimConnect format.

In the case of the example you give, the SimConnect string needed would, I think, be:

"ICAO METAR 0000Z 13008KT 9999M SCT030 33/01 Q1005"

The ICAO is the ID of the weather station you want to set, or GLOB to set global weather.

[Note that GLOBal weather is usually only be applied to weather stations without weather already set. In other words, it provides the default. This can be changed to set true global weather if you set FS into Global Weather mode first -- that involves writing to different offsets, a bit more complicated and described in the FSUIPC SDK].

The time of the METAR (0000Z above) is ignored but I think needs to be present nonetheless. Obviously the time will be the ttime you write it. And note the 'M' for Metres on the Visibility value. I think that's needed, but you could try omitting it as a test.

The SimConnect METAR format is much more extensive than this, able to set upper winds and temperatures too. The full details are provided in the SmConnect part of the FSX SDK, which I think is still accessible on-line. If not, the P3D one is ad should give you the same data -- look for "SimConnect_WeatherSetObservation"

Pete

IF10 is set up to do this natively. You can place a list of metars (simconnect format) into the manual weather .ini file, one for the departure, one for the destination, and as many as you like between, which are injected after each desired weather update period.