Sign in to follow this  
gunther

Random pings?

My Phemom 300 keeps making random (?) pings once every few minutes or so. I initially though "oh, altitude alert is actually working", but it wasn't that. It seems to happen at higher alts, so I thought maybe it's some cabin pressure alert, since the cabin reaches 8700' at FL450 (I read somewhere it's meant to be at 6600', but that's obviously not how it's programmed). There's no lights coming on anywhere, and the system pages are all "normal".

It's the same tone that I get when turning off YD on finals. But the YD appears to be locked when AP is on (can't turn ot on or off, not sure if that's a bug either).

Anyone else getting these pings and/or kown what they might be?

A single "ding" should be the master caution tone, and the "triple ding" is the master warning tone.  These sounds are not implemented correctly.  The single ding when you disengage the YD is erroneous. 

In reality, when any new yellow or red "CAS message" appears, you should hear the appropriate ding sound, and it should re-play every 5 seconds until you press the acknowledge softkey on the PFD, but that's not implemented either.

I wrote this up and submitted it to Carenado.

Thanks C525B. Must be the master caution tone then, though I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong, since there are no other indications, on the PFD or anywhere else. Though I suspect it might be cabin altitude related, since it seems to be happening primarily up high. I guess chalk it up as another Carenado "feature"...

In reality, when any new yellow or red "CAS message" appears, you should hear the appropriate ding sound, and it should re-play every 5 seconds until you press the acknowledge softkey on the PFD, but that's not implemented either.

I wrote this up and submitted it to Carenado.

Some of your write up items, like this one, were not insignificant.  I hope Carenado doesn't leave another buggy plane out there.  I think a significant number of folks would like to have the airplane...just with things working.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Some of your write up items, like this one, were not insignificant.  I hope Carenado doesn't leave another buggy plane out there.  I think a significant number of folks would like to have the airplane...just with things working.

Gregg,

I certainly agree with your statement, but I am afraid that the Carenado we see is the only Carenado we'll ever have.  Their smugness coupled with unwillingness to improve their product and improve their relationship with the community is very unfortunate.  I don't know if it's realistic to expect Carenado to really make this right, but I hope they do.  If they don't, then this will be their third problem-plagued jet in a row.  With that cloud hanging about, I would imagine the sales of the CJ2 will be poor, especially since it's in exactly the same class as the Citation S/II (they're crowding their own market!).  There must be a breaking point with the bad publicity where either 1. they finally accept some help with the technical stuff (even FREE HELP that's been offered many times) or 2. they quit.  ...There has to be a breaking point, right?

I'm not making these write-ups to air my grievances.  I'm enjoying this add-on, despite the faults.  I just want the folks who read this forum to be able to make an informed choice and to ask themselves what issues they can live with and what they can't.  For all of the technical frustrations, Carenado airplanes are also very beautiful and atmospheric.  So, I think the tired, old counterpoint is perfectly valid here: the value you get out of an add-on depends on what you get out of flightsim.  I was appalled by the Hawker at first and shelved it for well over a month.  But, after some hours of tweaking, I feel like it's about "85% good," and that's good enough for me.   I feel that the investment of time fixing that product will be returned many times over, but--counterpoint #2--it's easy for me to say that because I have no qualms with hacking my payware add-ons apart to fix them.  Sure, I have many moments with the Phenom where I think, "ugh, this thing is wrong, and this thing is wrong, and see how the G1000 doesn't......."  but--counterpoint again--the number of times where FSX has ever fooled me into thinking I was sitting in a real cockpit is exactly zero.

P.S.  Send me a PM...I have some goodies for the Malibu Mirage you might like.  I was over in the Mirage forum today and I saw you have that one.