Sign in to follow this  
stevecurran13

Prepar3D crashing with no error reported and nothing in Windows Event Viewer

Hi all,

Have run into a peculiar issue. It has occurred during the last two flights I have attempted - one at night and one during the day.

My setup is as follows:

Core i7 4790k
EVGA GTX 780 SC
8GB RAM
Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

My Prepar3D setup is as follows:

Prepar3D v2.5
PILOTs FS GLOBAL 2010 FTX Edition
Orbx Global Base
Orbx Global Vector
Orbx OpenLC EU
REX4 Texture Direct
ActiveSky Next
PrecipitFX
Traffic 360
Aivlasoft EFB

The aircraft I was using - Majestic Dash 8 Q400.

What happens is this: about 75% way into the flight, Prepar3D just dies. No freezing before it crashes like I had before, no error message reported when it is about to quit, it just disappears from the screen. No events are recorded in the Windows Event Viewer application or windows logs either. Very frustrating this time as I was on approach! The flights both times out of interest were from Cork EICK to Guernsey EGJB.

I did recently install Aivlasoft EFB, not sure if it could be causing the issue with the way it interacts with P3D.

Are there any logs in the P3D folder that I can grab to take a look at? Or has anyone else had this issue?

Any help would be appreciated. Getting frustrated at not being able to complete a single flight without a crash and for no apparent reason.

Thanks,
Steve

See the AVSIM CTD Guide. Download and run AppCrashView. It shows every crash that occurred since you first installed Windows. The Event Viewer has to be read properly. The AVSIM CTD Guide tells you how to read the Event Viewer properly. All events are recorded, good or bad. You do not want to look in the Application log or Windows log in the Event Viewer. What happens if your video card caused the event? That information would not be located in the Application Log. The AVSIM CTD Guide provides you the location where ALL events are located in the same location.

Moving your p3d.cfg to a temp folder and then restarting p3d and letting the config rebuild fixes many problems as many people put tweaks in their config that just do not work or they were employed improperly.

The AVSIM CTD Guide, near the end shows probable causes and possible fixes for unknown crashes too.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

See the AVSIM CTD Guide. Download and run AppCrashView. It shows every crash that occurred since you first installed Windows. The Event Viewer has to be read properly. The AVSIM CTD Guide tells you how to read the Event Viewer properly. All events are recorded, good or bad. You do not want to look in the Application log or Windows log in the Event Viewer. What happens if your video card caused the event? That information would not be located in the Application Log. The AVSIM CTD Guide provides you the location where ALL events are located in the same location.

Moving your p3d.cfg to a temp folder and then restarting p3d and letting the config rebuild fixes many problems as many people put tweaks in their config that just do not work or they were employed improperly.

The AVSIM CTD Guide, near the end shows probable causes and possible fixes for unknown crashes too.

Best regards,

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I am familiar with how to check the event viewer and other logs though, and trust me - there is nothing recorded there for the crash. Nothing showing either in AppCrashView. It's almost as if P3D has gracefully shut down.

I have also gone to Lockheed Martin directly with this to see if there are P3D logs I can pull that might log what the sim was doing up until the crash.

I don't have any tweaks in the p3d.cfg file either, so that rules that out.

This is what AppCrashView reports:

SetPoint.exe Stopped working 30/08/2015 15:50:05 All Users 0xc0000005 0x008405c4 nvd3dumx.dll 10.18.13.5560 C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe 16,958 C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_SetPoint.exe_ecb76bf81183fd93c1722496a10d7f6204f36_1c6b7f74_cab_03869aad\Report.wer

However, P3D crashed at about 16:15.

I'll try running it tomorrow without Aivlasoft EFB and see if that makes a difference. Although I just remembered that I recently installed ORBX Trees HD too. Not sure if that is at fault. Will have to test more.

I did also record the last portion of the flight with nVidia Shadowplay, which would have captured the crash. Might upload it to YouTube so people know what I'm talking about the 'graceful' crash.

Regards,
Steve

Your Logitech Mouse and/or Keyboard has a problem. Setpoint is part of the Logitech drivers. That's what stopped working. Also, nvd3dumx.dll is part of the Nvidia drivers and it was the cause of the crash. You might want to go back to previous drivers or reinstall using Admin privileges. Make sure too that UAC is turned off. This is imperative. When you reinstall the Logitech and/or Nvidia drivers, make sure you also right click the setup programs and select "Run as Admin". I can guarantee the crashes (or events) are shown in your Event Viewer too.

There is no p3d log.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So I tested again - same flight, same conditions, same everything. Except this time I didn't run Aivlasoft EFB.

No crash...not even a stutter.

I have no idea why it was crashing when EFB was running, but it looks like that was most certainly the cause. It's a shame too, I really like the product.

I'd be interested to see if people running this same config (Windows 10, Orbx FTX software, Majestic Dash 8, etc.) with the EFB and on the same route (EICK - EGJB) run into similar issues. If anyone wants to, feel free and post the results here.

Thanks Jim for your responses too, and in my other thread with the BSOD. Much appreciated! :)

Regards,

Steve

Someone on Facebook had a similar problem about a week ago and rolled back to windows 7 to fix it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Someone on Facebook had a similar problem about a week ago and rolled back to windows 7 to fix it. 

Really? Yeah, it's definitely a software compatibility issue. Do you know if that resolved the issue?

Really? Yeah, it's definitely a software compatibility issue. Do you know if that resolved the issue?

He posted that  it did, he had tried other suggestions that didn't work. . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310