Sign in to follow this  
kryten

STARS Vectors Runways and Wind

The following is a typical problem. I approach EDDM from the north and ATC instructs me to follow the AKANU 2A STAR but as soon as I start I am vectored away. Although the wind is from 250' and 18kts (I use FSGRW dynamic weather) I was vectored to runway 8R instead of runway 26R/L. This seems to be happening all the time.Does VoxAtc ALWAYS vector no matter what? I tried pressing 0 to request another runway but the only choice I had in the window was 0 : Return. Is this a common problem or is it just me? If the former it needs fixing. If the latter I need fixing.

i believe it always starts vectoring when you are 30nm from the airport, which is most noticeable on european STARs which often start around that distance. you can override it with an option..i think in the flight plan extras option page- unfortunately i'm on my work computer right now and don't have it installed here so i can't tell you the exact setting. if you tick that setting it doesn't give vectors and instead is basically the same as if you request the full ILS instead, having you fly the STAR and then reporting at the waypoint for the IAF or maybe FAF (or sometimes it does it at 4.5dme). sometimes i am lazy about ticking the option and just do the full ILS request after i get the vectors, if i'm intent on flying the STAR all the way. i usually see the option to request though and not just the "0.return" so i'm not sure what's going on there for you.

i occasionally see it select the wrong runway based on the winds but i haven't had time to really try and reproduce it, it's not 'all the time' for me though so i can't comment about that. i use ASN maybe it is somewhat dependent on which weather addons are being used? i would say in my experience it gets it right about 85% of the time, although there are a lot of times where it's not really making the smartest or most realistic choice in that regard, like using an uncommonly used runway just because there is a 4 knot tailwind or something, this is not something that i think any of the ATC addons really do properly though, particularly at major airports that have a pretty strictly defined set of what runways are active under specific conditions. it would be cool if there was a way to define that correctly but it's probably a lot of work to actually collect and implement all of that data.

i would agree that in general there are still some quirks with how this stuff works for sure! good luck

cheers

-andy crosby

Thanks Andy. I switched vectoring off and I can now follow STARs without being vectored to the opposite runway.

Kryten, this is not a solution at all.

If you was vectored to the opposite runway is because the atc asign you the other runway.

You will be not cleared to land in another runway.

I turn OFF the "vectoring for approach" for every flight plan i fly, but this is because i do not like how the atc vector me. But the atc still send me to a diferent runway asigned in the STAR.

"But the atc still send me to a diferent runway asigned in the STAR."

That is not good.

It must be a problem within Voxatc programming.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Yes.

You can lisen the ATIS and it will tell you the active runway.

But then in the clearence, the SID can be for a diferent runway.

At the end, the taxi instructions may send you to another runway also.

The same at the arrival. The STAR may send you to a fix that is not for the runway that you will be cleared to land.

You can request diferent runway, but you may recive a "unable at this time".

O maeby the atc accept the change, but then, the atc expect you to do a diferent SID for a diferent runway. Because if the ATC change the runway it need to give you a new SID, and he did not.

Will be fixed some day?