Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Saitek Throttle Quadrants - awkward whatever position

I slid the throttles to the right and this has helped quite a bit. Access to the mouse is much better and the throttles seem easier to manipulate.

Al. I'm having difficulty visualising your setup. As you can see from my photo there really isn't room for any more furniture. I suspect it's just going to be a compromise to get the least uncomfortable setup. I see to be a bit closer to that now.

Ray,

It sounds like you now have the situation "well in hand". But just to clarify, my TQ is mounted as in the picture in your original post, and the small table butts up right against the bottom part of the TQ that extends below the desk top. So the small table, which is a few inches lower then the desktop, is in "front" of the TQ and just to the right of my flying chair. Or said another way, the small table is essentially in front of your computer as shown in the picture in post 5. So using the mouse on the table is very convenient if you use your right hand for the mouse. In essence, the small table is approximately where the throttles/center console would be in a real a/c

Al

Al,

You appear to be describing how you set things up for mouse use. Now that I've moved the TQs further to the right I have good access to my mouse and that is no longer an issue.

Regarding the TQs their ideal position would be lower down and at a 2 o'clock position relative to me just as they are in real aircraft. I can't replicate that position unless I sit further back and buy one of these throttle housing units and mount it on top of the midi-tower you see in the photo of my setup.

That isn't practical sadly so where it is now will have to do. Not ideal but better than before. Thanks everyone.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Ray,

Thanks for your instructions but I can not copy the link. When I click on the green image box and I paste the URL-link, the program does not react any more.

I am sorry but I will stop for today.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben,

Make sure in DropBox you choose Copy Public Link... at the top of the screen and not Share... that appears to the right.

Other than that it should just work. Try again when you have time. It's worth it as AvSim doesn't host images any more.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Ray,

It is problematic for me sending you a picture. When I copy and paste the URL link in the green box than the whole age freezes and I have to restart the AVSIM page.

I am sorry but I quit for tounight.

Ben

Okay Ben. For some reason you appear to be having a problem with AvSim rather than Dropbox. Hope you manage to sort it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My setup is not as complex as I do not fly tubeliners and with my mouse use the switches in the virtual cockpits of the GA models I fly.  Ray, the reason I know what you were dealing with is that I cannot move my quadrant any farther to the right as there is a column of drawers in my desk. I do fly mostly twins, such as the Turbine Duke V2 and MilViz B55 Baron among others.  I have been unable to source an additional Saitek quadrant as all sources have been out of stock for some time. But if I were able to source one you can see how my space for my mouse would become much more restricted. If I move my yoke and pedals farther to the left I am bumping into my computer case. I could relocate the computer case to just beyond the left end of my desk, but then I would need to get some longer cables for several items. Never easy is it? My computer is for general use as well as flight simulation.

Al,

You appear to be describing how you set things up for mouse use. Now that I've moved the TQs further to the right I have good access to my mouse and that is no longer an issue.

Regarding the TQs their ideal position would be lower down and at a 2 o'clock position relative to me just as they are in real aircraft. I can't replicate that position unless I sit further back and buy one of these throttle housing units and mount it on top of the midi-tower you see in the photo of my setup.

That isn't practical sadly so where it is now will have to do. Not ideal but better than before. Thanks everyone.

FSX%20Cockpit%283%29-XL.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank,

The old problem of us having too much kit to fit the space. I never had all these problems when I had my CH Pro Throttle or earlier than that the old CH VPP with 3 axes on the unit itself. All these new toys just make life difficult for us.

My ideal setup these days short of a full cockpit would be a wall-mounted display, a free-standing yoke, and the GoFlight Console.

goflight08.jpg

John,

That looks about the right position for the throttles. Pity my DIY skills are absolute zero but I am good with spreadsheets and databases! :smile:  Like that is going to help me!! :fool:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

ray

pleased you were able to access my pics ....seems a few of us struggle to post images directly  ??

I should have said in my post "suspended from under the desk" which may have tweaked other's thoughts ..... but yes, it is DIY & needs to suit many constraints such as "All these new toys just make life difficult for us" ..............

for now, cheers

john martin