Sign in to follow this  
xv232

Help! FS2004 not starting in W8.1

Hello,

I have bought a new computer to take FS2004 again. Now it has some new-fangled Windows 8 (and now there's Windows 10) So, on installation of FS9, onto a new directory not in the Program Files folder, when I click on the desktop icon, it says

''Please login with administrator privileges and try again'' ('Access Denied' at the top)

So, rather bemused, I do, by right-clicking the FS9.exe and running as administrator. When I do this, it asks me for permission, I say yes, then the cursor buffers a bit, then nothing happens at all.

I do understand if this is a bit short on information, it's all I have got at the moment after hours of reinstalls and frustration.

I have a 2.2Ghz processor, it's an Acer laptop and I have used FS9 before on laptops with less power, so I'd say performance is not the issue; it must be something else.

Right, that's my plea and incessant ranting over!

George (aka XV232 Nimrod supporter at Coventry)

Problem solved! A fix from another website makes FS2004 independent of disc 4 and it all works! Hooray

Yep, the latest Windows Updates are blocking the game from reading the discs, so you have to apply the "NOCD Patch" in order for FS9 to work :)

You know, I saw an earlier thread about the September Win7/8 update that "killed" many "read from disk" applications like FS2004.  I hadn't done the September update yet...I typically wait a week or two and watch the forums to see what chaos Microsoft has wrought.  Needless to say, as an FS2004 user, I skipped the September and October "Tuesday" updates.

Later on I decided to selectively update based on what I read that each update did.  Never ever before looked that in depth at them update by update.  Then I noticed, The one that "killed" FS2004 wasn't on the list anymore.  It wasn't hidden and I checked, it hadn't been installed. It just was no longer there.

I created a User Restore Point and then installed all the updates Windows Update found.  No issues...FS2004 and Medieval Total War both still start from disk.  Surely Microsoft didn't realize what a boner they had pulled and got rid of that update?

Randy