Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

What They Aren't Telling You

I recently read into this article, concerning SSD read & write speeds with the new TLC NAND Flash chips being implemented.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2998497/storage/tlc-nand-ssds-the-crippling-problem-storage-makers-dont-advertise.html#tk.nl_pcwbest

I have personally experienced this lag they speak of, and wondered if something was wrong with the drive.  I too was duped into thinking that but the article reveals the ugly truth behind the drives.  I suspect that if anyone experiences lag in their sims, they could be experiencing a cache issue, although not confirmed.  While we all expect SSD drives to be wickedly fast, it's the internal hardware design that dictates performance and it isn't something manufacturer's will openly advertise because they feel it isn't a huge issue that a majority will/can experience.

Some food for thought, nothing more.

-Jim

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Sim performance is affected by read speeds (scenery loading, etc.) and even then it is a minor factor after CPU, GPU and RAM speeds. The SSD issue is with write caching. But you never know what may be causing that unresolved stutter.

I suppose if one were running 64 bit XP10 with minimal RAM and the swap disk was on an SSD, the statements in the linked article could be an consideration, but that seems like a special case.

I agree with Jay, this is regarding write speeds, not read speeds. I bought an SSD for reads, specifically random I/O.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.