Sign in to follow this  
CB_Pilot

Switch Focus to Second Monitor Crash - Microsoft Flight Simulator Has Stopped Working

I'm on Windows10 and running FSX:SE on a twin monitor setup, managed by a single NVIDIA GT520 card and a Trigger External Graphics adapter. My NVIDIA settings have been tweaked with NVIDIA Inspector - but its months since I touched these settings. Everything has been working well since moving to from FSX Gold to FSX:SE, including an upgrade from Win7 to Win10, until these last two weeks. Nearly 400 hours in the last two years, with 150 in FSX:SE - mostly flawless.

I run ASN on my second monitor with FSX:SE in windowed mode on my primary monitor. I've got unregistered FSUIPC (up-to-date, I need it for iFly 737NG) displaying remaining memory in the window bar and it never gets below 1.5Gb. I used to be able to switch focus between monitors throughout any flight with no problems. Now, when I change focus to my second monitor I immediately get a crash with "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working" showing on two consecutive dialogue boxes. When I cancel the second one my PC reverts to normal operation and I can re-launch FSX:SE - its not a "blue-screen" crash, just a programme crash.

I've worked through the AVSIM CTD guide and cant see anything which clearly refers to a crash on switching focus to a second monitor.

I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom from the community please - am I missing an obvious setting somewhere?

Thanks

Rupert

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well - I found the fault after a work colleague advised me on twin monitor gaming setups. The FSX:SE Settings-Display page from within FSX was showing the two distinct monitor devices but somehow I had them set to different "Filtering" parameters. When I amended the settings so that both monitors had the same "Filtering" settings I got no more crashes.

Don't know how or when I set them differently but I do know that everything now works again and I can get back to doing a bit of work on monitor 2 whilst a long-haul flight operates on monitor 1.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Rupert