Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Is It Possible to Direct To A Drive?

I have just fitted a Sandisk 960Gb SSD but have a Windows 7 64-bit Pro OS on another SSD( a Samsung Evo PRO 256Gb) which is currently my C:\ drive. Is there a way to direct the Windows 10 set-up to install the new OS into that Sandisk which is on drive O:\ ? I do not want to delete the existing Windows 7 OS on the current SSD.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Just to be safe I would unplug the current SSD windows 7 is on. Then plug in the new SSD and install win10 on that. Then once you plug the old drive back in you will have to tell the computer in the BIOS which drive to boot up first. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Hi TurboKen

Thanks for your reply.

I was already thinking along those lines, but my Antec 900/2 case is so damned, it is a bind to lift it out, open the side panel, disconnect the existing Samsung SSD which has the Win7 OS, then re-connect everything just to install Win10 on the new SSD. Hence, I was hoping for a shortcut way. I may well end up having to do what you suggest.

LOL, Rick trust me, doing it right the first time will save lots of time by avoiding an accident and loosing all the data you wanted to keep on the old drive.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

LOL, Rick trust me, doing it right the first time will save lots of time by avoiding an accident and loosing all the data you wanted to keep on the old drive.

You will be glad to know, that I heeded wise counsel here, and disconnected the Samsung SSD drive that houses my current Windows 7 OS. Then fitted the new Sandisk SSD on its own, re-installed Windows XP, then upgraded that to Windows7 64-bit Pro as the upgrade disk was to upgrade the Win XP. Still leaving the Samsung SSD and all other drives disconnected, I then upgraded that Windows 7 64-bit Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

Once I was happy everything bedded in, only then  did I re-connect the other drives. And everything is as was.

Now....................if I could only get Prepar3d v2.5 to install in that new Sandisk, I'd be a happy bunny. But that's another post in a different Forum.

Glad to hear everything worked OK.

Now once the other drive is installed you can install P3D to any drive you want and it should work just fine, just select the location and install.

Alas, a tale of woe as regards P3D v 2. First, it kept halting the install right at the start asking for a MSCVR100.dll when trying to install from my saved P3D installer. Then, when I downloaded a fresh installer from my account at LM, again, it failed to install asking for a cab file which clearly was in the directory. So, at the moment, I feel, I have taken ten steps forward and eight backwards. So, I have no idea where to go with this.