Sign in to follow this  
WhiteKnuckle

Advice on new monitor

Folks,

I had a LG 21:9 Ultrawide 29EA73 coupled with a Dell Ultra Sharp U2412 IPS and unfortunately I was away over the New Year period and was burgled.  They took the LG which I really liked and want to replace with another Ultrawide.  I see there are curved screens now but they may be beyond my budget.  Would appreciate any thoughts\advice while I am waiting to have my insurance claim processed.  I live in Melbourne.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you're spending real money and are considering the Acer Predator X34, I'd be really careful.  I have one and there are a lot of people complaining of problems on their forums:

1)  Panel won't hit the advertised 100hz overclock

2) Only half the backlight switches on when you turn the monitor on.  I have this, but I find the other half of the monitor comes on pretty quickly

3) Lots of backlight bleed.  If I fly at night, the bottom left corner of the screen in particular looks like the sun is rising just off screen - that corner has a distinct orange glow.  The top left does too, but not over as much of an area.  It's not visible unless that section of the screen is totally dark, so I don't notice it in other games, but it's really noticeable in P3D.

4)  Other people are reporting really bad banding, particularly in blue colours.  Don't have this myself.

All told it's a lot of problems for a £1000 monitor.  I'm considering speaking to Acer about an RMA for mine.

Graham

I'm not considering the Acer as too expensive.  I'll have to see how things pan out with the insurance but I've narrowed it down to the following:

LG 29UM67 29inch UltraWide IPS  $449.00

Dell U2913WM 29inch IPS Monitor  $729.00

LG 34" IPS (21:9) 3440x1440 5ms Monitor - 34UM95C  $999.00

Samsung S34E790C 34" Ultrawide Curved LED Monitor  $1169.00