Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

GTN problems in B55 and C310 ?

Hi Folks,

RE: Win10 and P3Dv3.1

Been trying to use my newly installed GTN units and I'm having some difficulty... Perfect weather for testing some instrument approaches into KMSV today...

Just a quick side note on the autopilots - I realize they are simplified versions although I was a bit surprised considering the obvious care and attention to detail spent on the rest of the plane... Honestly - they seem like the weakest link in these otherwise superb packages...

So - I installed the GTN's as per the directions provided - they appear in the panel fine and seem to function as advertised... I started off with an RNAV/LPV approach at KMSV 15 using the B55 - it tracked my initial run in it hit my fixes as expected - as I turned final - I selected approach mode and the autopilot showed approach armed - and - it never sequenced to full approach... It tracked my course on final and as I intercepted the glideslope - the plane started down but the autopilot and the indicator on the panel stayed armed... It had a hard time tracking the glide slope with some serious vertical oscillations...

I then moved to the C310... Same approach - same symptoms... It appears to be the same autopilot in both planes...

So then I decided to check an ILS approach into 15 in the C310... Both GPS set to VLOC and tuned to the verified ILS frequencies... The C310 has a Nav Source switch - I didn't check if the Baron does... When the HSI is selected to NAV1 - there is no needle deflection from the tuned ILS and it will just blow through the localizer intercept as if it's not there... If I select NAV2 - I get needle deflection but that doesn't do the autopilot any good...

I flew the same approaches with the A2A C182 (similar autopilot) also with the GTN loaded - all indications proved good and as expected with rock steady glide slope tracking - which to me proves that the GTN will work properly...

I'll add the caveat that I could be doing something wrong or something could be mangled on my end - so I was really hoping someone else with these fine planes with the GTN could verify some approaches to prove it's not a problem on my end... I can't seem to get either plane to work with a GPS or ILS approach after the GTN install...

NAV1 no needle deflection

Prepar3D%202016-01-10%2008-32-00_zpsg8pn

NAV2 needle deflections​

Prepar3D%202016-01-10%2008-32-06_zpss9sl

Thanks...

Regards,

​Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Folks,

RE: C310

I think I may have found an issue - I modified the F1GTN.ini file - and now I have needle deflection and it seems to be working in both ILS mode and GPS mode... I changed the "Radios" and swapped the "Link CRS" and ​ "Auto CRS" values... Still some strangeness with the autopilot as soon as I tune the ILS or select an LPV approach - it goes into GS mode and I'm having some issues with selecting altitudes even while in HDG mode... Still testing and haven't looked at the Baron yet...

My Changes:

[GTN650.1]
Airplane=4
Radios=0
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=0
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0

Regards,

Scott

Hi Folks,

Still doesn't solve the problem of the autopilot not switching the "Armed" off so you have some indication the glide slope is captured...

Regards,

Scott

Scott, I'm going to be working on the next iteration of the C310R over the next week or so. I'll take a look at this issue while doing so.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,

Thanks - no rush - if you need more information or need me to check something - just holl'r...

Regards,

Scott