Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

New video card decision pending.....

I also posted at the P3D forum, but no advice just yet.....

I'm in the process of building a new PC and before I pull the trigger on the final component I thought I would seek a little guidance. 

The build so far is as follows:
i5 6600k with evo 212 cooler (to allow a little OC)
ASrock z170rpo4s board
8GB Gskill DDR43000 (ordering another 8 soon)
Samsung 850 500GB SSD

The final component, the video card is going to be ordered in the next few days hopefully and I've been planning on an EVGA GTX 970. I've ready nvidia runs P3D better but is there any reason I should consider the 8GB R9 390 instead?? $300-$350 is the budget. I'm really hoping this PC can run P3D and my add ons at 30fps no sweat, I'll take higher but a steady uninterrupted 30 would put me over the moon!!

Thanks for any input!!!

8G is gonna be total overkill for anything other then multiple 4K monitors ( I would think anyway). I just upgraded from a 970 to a 980TI Strix and I haven't simmed yet but the 970 is a great card for the price for sure.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Nvidia all the way for me anyway.  Personally speaking i would go for the 970 over the R9 

• Upvote 1

2 votes for the Nvidia card, zero folks chiming in to consider the R9.  So, I'm going to surmise that there is little reason to consider the R9.  Unless someone speaks up before the funds to order the card arrive, I will likely go with the EVGA 970.  I just have to figure out what the heck the difference is between them all, aside from monitor connections.

For MicroSoft's flight sims, Nvidia cards perform better than AMD cards and Intel CPU's also perform better than AMD processors.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.