Hey!  I've overclocked my i7 4790k from 4.3 to 4.7GHz, but when I run fsx I only got relatively small gains.  (4-5 fps increase)  Is there anything I'm missing, like RAM?  Or is that just the sort of gains overclockers get on average?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!  

in FSX it is pretty much a linear relationship, so a 10% increase in clock speed =10% increase in fps. (roughly speaking, anyway..)  if you had 30fps before that would be maybe 3-4 extra.

it sounds like maybe that is in line with the numbers you are seeing?

it wouldn't hurt to check that your ram timings are correct of course and if the speed it uses is also appropriate..

cheers

-andy crosby

I've always found overclocking messes with Wake from Sleep/Suspend to Ram, so I never bother with it anymore...   however, I suppose its dependent on your motherboard.  I've read somewhere long ago that driving your chip harder and faster shortens its life through electron migration... whether that is true would require further net research...  chips are already driven insanely fast and I have yet had a CPU to fail simply from being... in use.  

Usually CPU's are killed by a monkey tech wannabe getting inside, popping the socket, and stepping all over the CPU pins.  I've spent 15 minutes at a time straightening out otherwise FUBAR CPUs from massive amounts of bent pins...   

I've always found overclocking messes with Wake from Sleep/Suspend to Ram, so I never bother with it anymore... 

Shouldn't do. Not having a PSU that's certified for newer CPU's is more likely the issue. Haswell compatible PSU is the answer.

I've read somewhere long ago that driving your chip harder and faster shortens its life through electron migration

Yes, but given that CPU lifespan is measured in thousands of hours it's not an issue. We enthusiasts will have upgraded to the latest architecture long before it's an issue. Crazy high overclocks are a different story of course.