Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Australian H'ways and roads look like dirt roads

In the Sim, major roads and highways in Australia look like they are dirt roads from the air.Does anybody know how to alter the appearance of them?Thanks Barry

HelloHere are some roads for Australia and tasmainiahttp://www.fsaviation.com/terrashop/produc...&products_id=90I have a subscription to Mapserver at FS freeware which gets me all of the roads and waters + the new photo scenery for a 1 year subscription of $ 49.99This is the best bargain in FS2xxx after FSgenesis.Great support from Ray, After installing Italy waters my installation ofaerosoft/cloud9 Elba which has its own custom coastlines was totally messed up by the Italy Waters VTP/Poly coastlines but after an Email to Ray he got to work and sent me a patch to restore them back to the original state.

Ultimate terrain is comming to Australia. But that could be a while yet though.John.

I made an inquiry about this package on the Australian based Virtual VFR Flying Club Forum a month ago and the feedback was not encouraging."I gave an opinion some time back, and that has not changed.. it is cr*p, not worth buying.. most large inland water is missing, Eildon for instance.. all the coastal beaches are gone, and many other problems.. I would not even use it if it were free.. I got a refund after much haggling. Teecee." And" Have to agree with Teecee !!! The Roads are not bad but the Coastlines, Rivers, Lakes , etc are CR*P for sure !! CheersIan"So I guess your mileage must vary on this one.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hello Thats the catch with any of the VTP/Poly coastlines you lose the beach outlines and the textures go right to the waters edge, It is a result of having accurate coastlines, it isnt possible with the resolution available to be able to include the beaches and wave effects.This is true of all the waters addons that i have seen so far, they are great up high but not so good down low.Another side effect of these types of scenery is existing buildings ending up in the water hence my problems with Cloud9 ELBA Island which had its own coastlinesHowever the road packages at FS freeware are fine, no better or worse than any other addon roads.

I was thinking that maybe the road textures could be replaced. I an not neccesarily looking for accurate placements of roads -- just textures that don't look like dirt.Barry

Hi there,actually, that's not correct. Ultimate Terrain does provide shorelines plus wave action with their packages and other regional water add-ons, like the FreeFlow sceneries and our Misty Fjords, do too.The problem with the shorelines is that one needs either an "intelligent" algorithm (like UT has) or manual pre- or post-processing (as in the case of FreeFlow and Misty Fjords) to prevent shorelines from appearing where they would look "silly", i.e., in narrow bays, on small lakes, or along rivers. If the designer cannot or does not want to spend time and energy on this then it's indeed better to not include any shorelines (or, at least, make them optional).The same thing goes for the issue whether lakes end up being flattened or mesh-clinging, with the former being more accurate but also more labor-intensive.Cheers, Holger

Hi Barry,the default textures that FS uses are stored in your FS9SceneryWorldtexture directory. Their names are:dirtroad.bmpdirtroadhw.bmpdirtroadsu.bmpdirtroadsu_lm.bmphiwayAsu.bmphiwayhw.bmphiwaylm.bmphiwaysu.bmproadsAsu.bmproadshw.bmproadslm.bmproadssu.bmpThe *hw bitmaps are for hard winter (i.e., lots of snow on the ground), the *Asu and *su bitmaps are for spring, summer, and fall, and (mild) winter, and the *lm bitmaps for night lights.Unfortunately, only the roads* and highway* textures are directly interchangeable. To replace the dirtroad textures with pavement textures you'd have to make changes to your terrain.cfg: Open terrain.cfg in Wordpad, after (!) making a backup copy, and replace for all the road texture blocks with dirt road textures the "Type=3" parameter entry with "Type=4"; then you can make a backup copy of the current dirtroad*.bmp textures and replace them with the corresponding road or highway bitmaps.Obviously, changes in this manner are global in their effect, that is, no more dirt roads anywhere. However, I don't think there are very many in the default FS anyway and replacement packages like UT generally use their own custom textures.Cheers, Holger

On a related roads issue, I find default night road textues very unrealistic for areas away from large cities - much too much lighting, particularly for Australia. I've toyed with deleting the night road textures but this causes the sim to crash at dawn and dusk.Any other way around this?Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."