Sign in to follow this  
flemon

P3d Addon Installation

Thankyou very much for your replies in advance! :wink:

I have P3Dv3 and very looking forward to adding addons like the AS a320 (but even more toward Flight Sims lab's one. :wink: ), REX essentials, ASN and various Uk2000 and AS Mega airport sceneries. (Note I do not wish to purchase ORBX Global etc. yet)

I have a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. P3D and Windows stuff are installed on the SSD (this is a very new desktop) which therefore means that the SSD is getting more full and only has about 50GB left. The HDD is basically empty and I would like to keep the SSD as free as possible.

I've read about LM's new idea about seperating addons from the core and I'd like to do this as it makes updates a lot easier. Therefore, I'd like to have all my addons (simobjects, scenery, effects and stuff) in the HDD to save space.

I've read about linking the .cfg's to the addons but am not completely confident with this process. Could someone please explain how I can link my addons through the .cfg's and also how to direct addon installers to my HDD rather than manually picking through the root folder to retrieve these files and then copy them all over to the HDD.

Thanks very much!

Fraser Barnes

Vatsim pilot and aviation enthusiast!

Hello Fraser.   

The idea is to be able to Install Software in a different folder outside of your Prepar3D folder OR even a different Drive (Same Computer of course) and Link these folders to Prepar3D using the .cfg files located here  (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3.    Of the course as you know,  the idea is to be able to Uninstall,  Install or even Update Prepar3D in a hassle free way. 

That been said,  Not every Add On will Install this way.  A lot of Scenery (Except Orbtx) can Install like this.  Most Utilities Install perfect.   Air-planes are a different story with only 1 Developer currently developing Software to Install and operate perfect this way, Real-air Simulations.  

With some Trickery you can Install a lot of Planes outside the folder and link it to Prepar3D,  to be honest though, the results are not always great and its not worth the hassle.

The general thinking is,  Install Scenery and Utilities Outside the folder and Air-Planes Inside the folder.  (For now anyway)     

I'm putting together a basic guide on Manually linking Software folders (Add On's) to Prepar3D.  Should have it up next week

For now though have a peep at these.

A basic guide to understanding your .cfg files http://www.avsim.com...read/?p=3365320

Also a basic guide to Install Add On's outside the Prepar3D folder  http://www.avsim.com...v3-core-folder/

Thanks so much for the reply.

Now that the scenery etc. is solved, with the simobjects, should I just install them into the root folder and then backup the initial application to my HDD so I can install the plane again if the update gets rid of them?

I think I'm actually getting this P3D logic!

Thanks

Fraser

Yes, the Prepar3D Outside the Folder logic is fantastic But its in early days yet and will require more developers coming on board to Develop 3rd Party Software that will operate this way from the get go. 

This is me in a pathetic way trying to link the Carenado406 to Prepar3D and failing with a Bang :smile:    I just couldn't get the sounds rite.  I gave up after that and Installed into the main Prepar3D folder.  I will no doubt have another craic at it though

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482530-how-do-i-install-add-ons-outside-the-prepar3d-v3-core-folder-discussion-topic/?p=3371322

with the simobjects, should I just install them into the root folder and then backup the initial application to my HDD so I can install the plane again if the update gets rid of them?

Yes, Install your Airplanes into the main folder for now anyway.    Like i said that doesn't included Realair Simulations Planes