Sign in to follow this  
flytriman

Dual Monitor Setup for FSX

Just purchased a larger monitor and thought I would try to use FSX with Dual Monitors (running Win 10)...but I have a question on how best to use what I have to get better Frame Rates.  I have a Dell Alienware x51 R2 with a GTX 645 card.  When I plug both monitors into the Video Card and bring up a 2nd window and move it to the other monitor my frame rates reduce by half (the same as if I leave the window in the main monitor).  So I tried plugging the 2nd monitor into the HDMI port for the Intel video on the motherboard to see if using a separate video card would help the frame rates.  However, when I move my 2nd window to the 2nd monitor it just goes blank and after a minute or so I get a "fatal error "message.

So my questions are:

1. - Is there a way to run the 2nd monitor off the motherboard video driver with FSX (allowing me to put a 2nd window on that monitor) while keeping my VC on the main monitor?

2. - Will this help my frame rates if I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Garry Lundberg

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% sure there's no way you can do that...

1. - Is there a way to run the 2nd monitor off the motherboard video driver with FSX (allowing me to put a 2nd window on that monitor) while keeping my VC on the main monitor?

2. - Will this help my frame rates if I can do?

(2) NO, assuming you mean you want to run two 3D windows (VC and/or external view). This is not about the monitor setup, it is about FSX having to do twice as much work. With two windows FSX has to calculate and render the outside view twice. No amount of fiddling with your video cards is going to change that. The only real way to improve your performance is to run two monitors with the same resolution in 2D Surround and use a single 3D view.

(1) If you still care, given the above, it is technically possible to run multiple video adapters at one. Whether one of them can be an onboard adapter probably isn't worth bothering about since you can buy a PCIeX adapter for £20 that will outperform it. This will work fine with FSX but it's probably only really suitable for running additional 2D panels (GPS, radios, etc.)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Ok...thanks for the reply.  Was afraid this would be the answer.  2nd monitor still useful for 2d items so I'll make the most of what I can.

Garry Lundberg