Sign in to follow this  
RancidViper

Unusual CPU temps on overclock

Hi guys, just wondering has anyone who has the new Skylake 6700k series processors tried using the default overclocking options from the bios? I increased by 40% to 4.4 at 1.28 but hw monitor was reporting CPU temps at 100 degrees during the stress test! :/

Using a corsair h110i water cooler

It's always a good idea, prior to any overclocking, to run a stress test to determine what your baseline performance is. Did you do that? If so, what were the temps?

Use the latest BIOS 

Just in case you're seeing a reporting error, try using RealTemp or CoreTemp. You can also try using Aida64 to measure the temp, as Asus tell us Aida64 is the most accurate method of measuring the temp with their motherboards. 

Check that all your fans are running on the rad, and at correct RPM.

Check that your H110 pump is functioning properly.

Is there air in the H110 system?

If the temp is still high, and you don't suspect a defective cooler or reporting issue, re-seat your H110 block, just in case you ballsed it up. Does happen.

I take it you used the Asus fixed, not system specific overclock? TPU 1 via the switch on the board or within Ai Suite. [Also available in the UEFI] 5 Way optimization is far superior, but don't try that until you have your temp issue diagnosed.

You say 100 degrees [C I presume] but did you witness any throttling back? Shut downs? If not, that also suggests a reporting error.

Hi martin,

It didn't shut down or anything, so I think you maybe right about the reporting issue.

This was done through the BIOS by selecting the Performance Upgrade where it automatically sets frequency and Vcore settings according to the percentage you select. And also I stress tested using IntelBurn.

I have since downloaded RealBench and when I do a stress test on stock settings I still go into the mid 70's in temps.

Was able to do a manual overclock to 4.5Ghz at 1.350V but temps were hitting the mid 80's so didn't want to leave it there. 4.4 works better but anything less than 1.350 and it fails the test.

For the internal hardware checks i'll have to to take it back in-store as it's still under warranty and I have everything on stock settings for the moment.

Intel Burn test is VERY viscous. I never use it these days.Even Intel themselves no longer recommend it.

RealBench is a great choice.

I have since downloaded RealBench and when I do a stress test on stock settings I still go into the mid 70's in temps.

Do try the latest BIOS. This is very important, as there are all kinds of tweaks for overclocking, temp reporting and stability after a new platform is released. If you are using the BIOS that came with the board, then it will be out of date.

As I said, and this is important... check your CPU temp with RealTemp Or CoreTemp. Both of these utilities will tell you your CPU temp for each core. They will measure the temperature from sensors within the CPU die.

Where do you live? The ambient temperature is important too! Clearly if you live in the middle of the Arizona desert, your delta temp would be high.That would explain to a degree some of your issue.

If there is no temp reporting issue, and your temps are accurate... then there is an issue with your cooler or it's mounting.70 degrees with an excellent cooler like the H110 is high. With no overclock it should be lower.

Do check the RPM of your cooler fans.If the fans aren't running at the correct rpm then obviously temps would be higher.

Was able to do a manual overclock to 4.5Ghz at 1.350V but temps were hitting the mid 80's so didn't want to leave it there. 4.4 works better but anything less than 1.350 and it fails the test.

Don't overclock until you have sorted out your issue! Overclocking is unimportant for now. Fix the issue first 

Important... Check the ink softarwe, it will tell you pump speed, water temp, fan speed etc.

​Important... you haven't set your H110 to quiet mode by any chance have you? Which would explain your limited cooling.

• Upvote 1

When I said "delta temp"ignore me, it was way too early in the morning. I meant ambient.

I also meant Link software not ink.