Sign in to follow this  
rip51mas

Some FSX General Questions

Hi,

I am setting up/building a computer for my father so he can run FSX.  I have the computer specs pretty much figured out and have built computers before, recently building a beefed up Video editing rig.  

My questions are:

Which program(s) should i get?

I have read you can download FSX from Steam for cheap or you can download FSX for around $150.

Which program can you download planes and airports for and join in ATC operations in a multiplayer format?

Also should we consider MS Flight instead?

Are there add-ons or other programs we will need?

The main goal is to be able to download planes and airports for and join in ATC operations in a multiplayer format.

thanks

download FSX for around $150

I have never heard of an FSX download for that much.  I believe you can buy the boxed FSX Gold Edition from E-Bay and other places for around $150 (which is way more than what you should pay).  There is a demo version of just FSX you can download to try it out (not sure if that is still available).  But, as far as I know there are no downloads. 

FSX is no longer being sold by Microsoft.  You can buy boxed versions from individuals but I would be careful doing that.

FSX-SE is the best choice if you want the complete versions (FSX and FSX Acceleration).  Members having issues getting their version of FSX reactivated after a system crash usually go for FSX-SE or Prepar3D (which is FSX) being updated by LockHeed Martin.  Personally, I do not like using Steam and still use my boxed versions of FSX/Acceleration and I also have Prepar3D Professional Version installed.

FSX, FSX-SE, and Prepar3D have the ability to download aircraft and airports.  MS Flight went out of business and the downloads are limited (check the MS Flight Forum for more information).

For multiplayer operations, we have a forum strictly set up for Multiplayers and it is best to ask the experts there about the best aircraft, airports, and other needed software.  FSX-SE is the best format for multiplayer operations but that area is not my forte'.

Welcome to AVSIM and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Which program(s) should i get?

You said FSX, so get FSX-SE which means "FSX Steam Edition", or "FSX Purchased through Steam" (http://store.steampowered.com)

The regular price is $29.99, but when there are sales it can be purchased for as little as $5...

I have read you can download FSX from Steam for cheap or you can download FSX for around $150.

Yes for downloading cheap, see above. There is no "$150 download". That price is from wise guys trying to sell the older boxed version of FSX that is no longer sold in stores. If you are starting from scratch there is absolutely no need for that...

Which program can you download planes and airports for and join in ATC operations in a multiplayer format?

Here I don't know if you are talking about simulator alternatives (something *instead of* FSX, or you mean add-ons for FSX...

Also should we consider MS Flight instead?

No, it's dead...

Are there add-ons or other programs we will need?

thanks

There are literally THOUSANDS of add-ons you can buy for FSX (or P3D or X-Plane for that matter), and cost can easily add up to the thousands as well.. Airplanes, scenery, tools, airports, etc..

You don't *need* them, it's a matter of if you want to add more eye candt/more realistic planes/ features, etc.

Hi,

I am setting up/building a computer for my father so he can run FSX. I have the computer specs pretty much figured out and have built computers before, recently building a beefed up Video editing rig.

I may be telling you what you already know, but FSX is not like most modern software/games when it comes to hardware. Whilst a decent, modern GPU is important, it doesn't need anything hugely powerful - something like a GTX 970 is a good choice. However, for best performance, what it really does need is a CPU capable of over 4Ghz (Intel CPUs seem to work better with FSX than AMD, clock for clock).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit