Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

Why not two pc?

I am curious to know why no development has gone into the potential  benefits of using two computers, one for aircrafts and one for scenery, in order to alleviate the various bottlenecks pertaining to loading high res  scenery while flying complex aircrafts. The cost of having multiple pcs is low enough to make it possible.

tony

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's an order of magnitude easier to separate processing between processor cores, and even that's rather complicated.

Cheers!

Luke

indeed..the network cable is a significantly slower bottleneck than anything inside the pc. it is hundreds or thousands of times slower than a typical bus between cpu and gpu.

in theory using multiple processors and cores should be great for separating those type of processes out, but the sims we have now take varying amount of advantage of this. i think in the future it will become more and more of a design goal from the start of creating the engine, but fsx (p3d, dtg, etc) are all based on an engine design that was created before multiple cores and processors was a common configuration.

one application for having multiple pcs that does work well, is if you are rendering multiple views, since then the only bandwidth you need is position updates and not actually moving tons of vertex and texture data around. i think p3d actually already has a bit of support for this approach.

cheers

-andy crosby