Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

vas v3

since p3d v3 has improved vas usage does that mean I no longer have to disable orbx and photoscenery areas that are not in use?

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Photo scenery will be loaded no matter where you will be flying during your flight plan.  It is highly advisable to disable photo scenery that will not be used during a flight.  It will take up resources unnecessarily otherwise.  Some of the Orbx scenery uses photoscenery and will load whether using it or not.

I made a flight from KLAS to KLAX with MSE Nevada enabled, FSDT KLAS, and I had all of my Orbx scenery, which includes Northern and Southern California, FSDT KLAX, and the Phenom 300 and I suffered an OOM (which is extremely rare for me) on approach to LAX.  ASN was not enabled.  So, that's what you have to do.  Investigate because there are several computer system configurations, P3D configurations, and addons used which contribute to depletion of VAS. Some have their P3D and display settings set to the max, some conservative settings, some with tweaks, and many possible addons.

So, just because VAS usage has improved, you still have to be extremely careful.  I remember back in the early days of the FSX/Acceleration release and everyone had a super duo core computer system.  VAS then was limited to 2GB's but we had some experts discover we could increase it to 3GB's.  So, we kept our settings set to a modest level.  We never ran a bunch of addons or that would increase the likelihood of VAS depletion.  Then Sandy Bridge and the i7 systems and Windows 64 bit came to town and we immediately thought we can now max everything out as we now have 4GB's of VAS and we can overclock our systems and nothing can stop us now.  That may work some of the time but not all of the time.  You have to know what you are doing and not make it easy for yourself by pushing all of your settings to the max and enabling all of your scenery and using fancy eye-candy scenery and aircraft.  You still have to be very careful how things are set up just like in the early days of 2006 and 2007.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok thanks for the info!

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero