Sign in to follow this  
jafferhussain11

Distortion on a 21:9 panel ?

hey all ,

i have a 21:9 panel 3440x1440 and when i play p3d on it , there seems to be quiet a bit of distortion on the sides.

is there a solution to this ? i tried fiddling with the zoom and above a zoom of .7 the distortion starts to minimize, but the scenery starts to blur/ decrease in quality .

maybe an option to adjust horizontal FOV ? my lack of knowledge in this field leaves me without a solution :s

kind regards

I have a 21:9 panel as well and I find that the side distortion is very minimal. Not nearly as bad as when I had three 27" monitors. Check to make sure in your P3D Graphics Settings that you have Wide-View Aspect Ratio checked.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

maybe an option to adjust horizontal FOV ? my lack of knowledge in this field leaves me without a solution :s

That is exactly what adjusting the zoom does. Given that you are describing significant distortion I presume you have WideViewAspect set, in which case as zoom of 0.7 is very wide. (0.7 is the same as 0.3 would be without WVA set.) You should be around 1.0, depending on your screen size.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

That is exactly what adjusting the zoom does. Given that you are describing significant distortion I presume you have WideViewAspect set, in which case as zoom of 0.7 is very wide. (0.7 is the same as 0.3 would be without WVA set.) You should be around 1.0, depending on your screen size.

Hey Mark

Tried bumping up the zoom to 1 but as I do so the scenery starts to loose quality and blurs up . At setting of 1 or even .9

Kind regards

Tried bumping up the zoom to 1 but as I do so the scenery starts to loose quality and blurs up . At setting of 1 or even .9

Nevertheless, that's the answer to your distortion problem. (Again, assuming you have WVA set. If you don't have WVA set, 1.0 is far too zoomed-in for your monitor's aspect ratio and yes, it it will look bad.)

There is no reason why the scenery should lose quality at such a modest zoom - it is, after all, made up from 1024-pixel square bitmap images that you will generally be looking at scaled down to much smaller sizes. What you may be describing is that at unnaturally-wide zoom settings everything looks a lot more detailed than it really is. As for blurring, perhaps the narrower zoom is making your LOD radius more obvious. Or it's making it more obvious that your PC isn't keeping up with scenery loading.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

No distortion here with 21:9 @ 3440x1440p with 0.7 zoom and wide aspect ratio checked.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Nevertheless, that's the answer to your distortion problem. (Again, assuming you have WVA set. If you don't have WVA set, 1.0 is far too zoomed-in for your monitor's aspect ratio and yes, it it will look bad.)

There is no reason why the scenery should lose quality at such a modest zoom - it is, after all, made up from 1024-pixel square bitmap images that you will generally be looking at scaled down to much smaller sizes. What you may be describing is that at unnaturally-wide zoom settings everything looks a lot more detailed than it really is. As for blurring, perhaps the narrower zoom is making your LOD radius more obvious. Or it's making it more obvious that your PC isn't keeping up with scenery loading.

Yup probably my system :S