Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Optimizing P3D as a "Visuals" only generator...

I wonder if any of you eventually using a solution like the one I sometimes use to run Aerowinx PSX using P3D v3 for the visuals, can share your tweaks.

Basically, when using "VisualPSX" a tool created by Garry Richards to allow for FSX and P3D to be used as out-of-windshield visual generators for Aerowinx PSX b747-400 sim, it disables the flight model in those sims. Even with the flight model in "doze mode" FSX and P3D are still more "stuttering" than X-Plane 10 when used for the same job, but they can have other benefits, so, I would like to be able to finf the best way to optimize P3D v3 for that purpose.

Since I run PSX and P3D on a single PC ( i5 2500 16 GB ram with GTX 960 4GB, win 10 pro 64 bit ) I still put the "Affinity_Mask" there to reserve the first core for other tasks, I also still use the "OPTIMIZE.." entries but I wonder if instead of doing what I usually do to the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION, setting it to "0.10" when I used FSX and P3D as flight simulators, I have set it to 0.6, and will try with 0.8 and up to 0.99 just to see the result...

Problem is that P3D and FSX scenery rendering engine appears not to bne aware that the flight model is not beingh used, and still use the same algorythms to leave space for it's calculations to run, creating unecessary stutters.

Any suggestions would really be welcomed.

Thx!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Starting with P3D V3 the SimConnect API offers the possibility to use external code to calculate object movements, see here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/utilities/simconnect/simconnect.html#ExternalSimOverview

I guess it would be up to the developers of Aerowinx to make use of that new feature.

That being said, the "FDE" is not the most performance intensive type of calculation that is taking place in your simulator. Switch off all AI and be conservative with settings, and it should be smooth enough.

LORBY-SI

Upgrade your CPU and you'll see tremendous benefit.

Yep, ideally 2 PCs, one for running just P3D and the other, not so powerfull, for PSX, and at least two monitors, would be the "perfect" setup, but unfortunately not viable to me right now :-/.

Starting with P3D V3 the SimConnect API offers the possibility to use external code to calculate object movements, see here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/utilities/simconnect/simconnect.html#ExternalSimOverview

I guess it would be up to the developers of Aerowinx to make use of that new feature.

That being said, the "FDE" is not the most performance intensive type of calculation that is taking place in your simulator. Switch off all AI and be conservative with settings, and it should be smooth enough.

It's actually the PSX user community that has been involved in developing these tools, including VisualPSX and XView, for fsx/p3d and X-Plane. I guess Garry might have used those new features in v3, because there is a separate install for P3D v3, and another one for older versions of P3D, as well as for FSX ( all flavors )...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...