Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

alt+enter freezes p3dv3.3

Hi, could someone advise me on may be happening here, all was fine yesterday with my p3dv3.3 and today everytime I switch from full screen to windowed mode using alt+enter the screen freezes, the sound is still there just no screen movement, the only thing that changed from yesterday was a new PFPX subscription update today, any ideas?

Cheers Rod.

Hi Rod, My guess is that you have your water slider right up at "ultra"? If so, take it down one notch to "High". There is apparently a problem/bug in the nVidia driver which comes to the fore when you set water to Ultra. What happens is the driver throttles the GPU back to low "P8" power mode on an Alt+Enter, which renders it incapable of doing much, hence the screen freeze. I stumbled on this problem recently and advice on this forum got me sorted. Ultra water setting with at least some nVidia cards severely limits your GPU's ability, best to stay away from it.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I've been running water setting at ultra for ever and never had issue at all so not sure if thats the problem but no harm trying.

Cheers Rod.

Sounds to me like it might be the issue I was having with the Display driver crashing. Are you using Windows 10?

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

What happens is the driver throttles the GPU back to low "P8" power mode on an Alt+Enter, which renders it incapable of doing much, hence the screen freeze. I stumbled on this problem recently and advice on this forum got me sorted. Ultra water setting with at least some nVidia cards severely limits your GPU's ability, best to stay away from it.

Which drivers are affected?

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Well changeing the water from ultra to high certainly cured that problem, useing win10, never had this before in p3dv3.2, strange, been running the same driver since it was released 368.22.

Cheers Rod.

Same as me Rod, one day it seemed to be working OK, the next, my screen kept getting stuck on the Alt+Enter command. I use Alt+Enter to be able to check the FSUIPC VAS status from time to time on longer flights. I had not updated the driver when I noticed this.

I have tried both the current nVidia driver and the one immediately before the current one in an effort to fix it. Both give the same result. Perhaps a Windows update caused the changed behavior but it is definitely an issue with how the driver controls the power of the GPU.

I first noticed it a week ago or so. I have a GTx980Ti on Windows 10 Pro. Running P3Dv3.2 still.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue with Water slider on High, so quite happy to let it be.

Anyway, at least you know your sim is not broken :)

For info, here is the link to my post about the issue. Thanks to Sesquashtoo for the fix:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/490084-screen-lockup-with-water-slider-on-ultra/

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor