Sign in to follow this  
bernd1151

Hong Kong to Almaty, part 1

We will not use the modern Chek Lap Kok airport, but my favorite Kai Tak. Although the Tu-114 is huge, among the modern heavies, its size looks modest

1.jpg

1a.jpg

Originally I planned to fly to Almaty directly, but then I had second thoughts and decided to make a stop-over in Bhutan

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

The Tupolev has an amazing cruising speed of around 400 knots

2.jpg

Flying over Hong Kong is always a feast

3.jpg

4.jpg

Deep in Southern China, we pass Laibin

5.jpg

Below us is Tezpur in Assam, India, favored for its tea and picturesque landscape

6.jpg

The Himalaya comes finally into sight

7.jpg

And now the interesting part starts: landing this beast in Paro, Bhutan

8.jpg

Paro Airport is 1.5 miles above sea level and surrounded by deep valleys and sharp peaks of up to 18,000ft tall

9.jpg

With a runway just 6,500 ft long, Paro is considered one of the world’s most difficult airports for takeoffs and landings. The approach is fairly complicated and can only be flown visually with no sight of the runway until the last moment

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Planes have to weave through dozens of houses that are scattered across the mountainside - coming within feet of clipping the roofs.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

As usual, the airstairs are too short for the Tupolev

17.jpg

And tomorrow we’ll have another challenge: getting out of Paro again

• Upvote 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Love the spectacular Hong Kong skyline and busy international airport scenes....press on into the Taklimakan Desert!

HLJAMES

Impressive shots of Hong Kong.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Thanks a lot, gents. I am glad that you like them. Hong Kong really is a great place to fly around. I enjoy it every time, as it brings back fond memories.

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080