Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

GoogleEarth and FS scenery.

I was playing around with GoogleEarth and found it really amazing how sceneries like Lago's RomeVenice, Flight Scenery's Rhode Island, and Aerosoft's Manhattan really capture the area their trying to depict. I more than realize now just how advantageous FS can be to any real pilot with getting familiar with an area before actually flying there in the real world. Scenery designers have really done an amazing job giving us the feel of such places as Monaco or Nice France.I know I'm late but I had no idea Georender's Diamond Point wasn't a real airport... Diamond Point wasn't a real airport...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

s86 skyharbor/sultan is a real airport though and you can find it with Worldwind or GoogleEarth...and its identical to the scenery!

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Actually 2wa1 Diamond Point IS a real airstrip and I found it in both GoogleEarth and NASA Worldwind. Richard Goldstein not only got the airport layout right but the roads on the airport I think are named correctly too! See below.http://www.planeprofiles.com/fs9/2wa1.jpg(Worldwind with USGS overlay)http://www.planeprofiles.com/fs9/2wa1_google.jpg(GoogleEarth with roads overlay)http://www.planeprofiles.com/fs9/2wa1_fs9.jpgFS2004... :-)http://www.gcr1.com/5010web/main.cfm?Site=2WA1(link to real life FBO information about 2wa1)Some quick history also quoted...The history of Diamond Point was not that of a town but of a quarantine station of the United States Government. It had its beginning around 1858 and its chief responsibility at the time was to care for merchant seamen. At this time, there were no federal government quarantine regulations. That would come in 1878 after a severe yellow fever epidemic nationwide. In the meantime, quarantine was a city or state matter before the federal government took over the responsibility. In 1893, Diamond Point became an official quarantine station of the U.S. Government. All ships entering Puget Sound had to stop at Diamond Point. Sailors arriving from tropical ports often brought smallpox or plague. Other diseases included yellow fever, typhus fever, cholera, leprosy and anthrax. Ships were fumigated for mosquitos that carried yellow fever, a well as rats for plague. In 1933, the facility at Diamond Point was declared unsuitable and a new station was built at Point Hudson. In 1936, Diamond Point was declared surplus and sold to private parties. Today, Diamond Point is a beautiful real estate development with an airstrip. Still remaining are the pilings of the old wharf and a storage building. Submitted by Henry Chenowith."Eric

WOW, thanks guys... :-eek Guess I wasn't looking hard enough...Sure wish Emma Field was a real airport...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Now Emma Field is fake... Too bad. I did look once... :-)Glad you liked the shots cause a Mod is probably gonna zap it for having screenies in the main forum!Eric