Sign in to follow this  
tryanc

VFR flight difficulties

Hey Dave,

My actions

-Created, validated, and filed a VFR flight plan KDAL direct KAUS at 12,500. 

-Requested flight following from KDAL clearance but received no response.

-Requested ready to copy VFR clearance and got my response 

-After departure with tower, I am told frequency change approved but not handed off to another controller. 

-From this point forward its basically radio silence, I try calling up nearby departure frequencies to request flight following but I receive no response.

-Nearing KAUS, I call up approach and tower and request landing but get no response.

Potential cause

-I'm exclusively using SayIt. I noticed that after my departure, none of my broadcasts were turning green. I take that to mean that it wasn't being correctly registered or accepted?

VFR flight suggestions

-IMO it would be more realistic to initiate VFR flight following with a "request for flight following" from either ground or clearance control, rather than "ready to copy VFR clearance". With the clearance instructions I would expect to receive a departure frequency.

-On my taxi out from KDAL, ground handed me off to tower in order to cross the runway. This was a little awkward and I think would be an exception rather than the norm (ground issuing runway crossings if ground control exists). 

-With my takeoff clearance with tower, I would expect to receive some sort of direction. Either a departure heading or at the very least a "proceed on course after departure".

On a sidenote, I've had several beautiful IFR flights in a row and its been a joy. Keep up the good work! I appreciate the massive undertaking. 

Simulator Connected
Recognition Engine Installed
Grammars Loaded
NextWpt: TOD
~Beech Five One Alpha ready to copy VFR Clearance
 Beech Five One Alpha Ready to Copy VFR Clearance;
Beech Five One Alpha Cleared VFR to Kilo Alpha Uniform Siera  at , One Two Thousand , Five Hundred feet .  Squawk One Two Zero Zero
~ Cleared VFR to Kilo Alpha Uniform Siera  at , One Two Thousand , Five Hundred feet .  Squawk One Two Zero Zero Beech Five One Alpha
~Beech Five One Alpha request taxi to  runway One Three Right
 Beech Five One Alpha Request Taxi to Runway One Three Right;
State Change to: TaxiOut
Beech Five One Alpha Taxi to Runway One Three Right Via Taxiways Hotel, Charlie Six, Charlie,  Hold Short Runway One Three Right, and Runway One Three Right
~ Taxi to Runway One Three Right Via Taxiways Hotel, Charlie Six, Charlie,  Hold Short Runway One Three Right, and Runway One Three Right Beech Five One Alpha
Beech Five One Alpha Runway One Three Right is currently active.  Contact Tower on One Two Three Point Seven to cross.
~Tower on One Two Three Point Seven to cross.  Beech Five One Alpha
 Tower on ONE 2 Three Point Seven to cross Beech Five One Alpha;
~Beech Five One Alpha waiting to cross  Runway Three One Right
 Beech Five One Alpha Waiting to CROSS Runway Three One Right;
~Beech Five One Alpha waiting to cross  Runway One Three Right
 Beech Five One Alpha waiting to cross Runway One Three Right;
Beech Five One Alpha Cleared to cross Runway One Three Right
~Cleared to cross Runway One Three Right Beech Five One Alpha
 Cleared to cross Runway One Three Right Beech Five One Alpha;
~Beech Five One Alpha ready for departure  runway One Three Right
 Beech Five One Alpha Ready for Departure Runway One Three Right;
State Change to: ClearedForTakeoff
State Change to: TakeoffVFR
Beech Five One Alpha Whinds are One Eight Zero at One Three knots  Altimeter is Two Niner Niner One Cleared for takeoff, Runway One Three Right
~Cleared for takeoff, Runway One Three Right Beech Five One Alpha
 Cleared for Takeoff Runway One Three Right Beech Five One Alpha;
State Change to: DepartureVFR
Beech Five One Alpha goodday , frequency change approved.
~Beech Five One Alpha requesting VFR Flight Following from Kilo Delta Alpha Lima  to Kilo Alpha Uniform Siera at   One Two Thousand   Five Hundred feet
~Beech Five One Alpha would like VFR Flight Following from Kilo Delta Alpha Lima  to Kilo Alpha Uniform Siera at   One Two Thousand   Five Hundred feet
NextWpt: AUSTIN BERGSTROM INTL
~Beech Five One Alpha inbound at   Eight Thousand   One Hundred feet  request ILS Approach to  runway One Three Right
You can say: Beech Five One Alpha is <AirportDistance> <BearingFromAirport> at   Six Thousand   Five Hundred feet  request transit of <AirportName> bravo airspace
You can say: Beech Five One Alpha is <AirportDistance> <BearingFromAirport> at   Six Thousand   Four Hundred feet  request permission to enter <AirportName> bravo airspace
~Beech Five One Alpha inbound at   Six Thousand   Two Hundred feet  request Visual Straight in to  runway One Three Right
~Beech Five One Alpha inbound at   Two Thousand   Five Hundred feet  request ILS Approach to  runway One Three Right
~Beech Five One Alpha request taxi to General Aviation Ramp
 Beech Five One Alpha Request Taxi to General Aviation Ramp;
State Change to: TaxiIn
Beech Five One Alpha Taxi to  General Aviation Parking  Via Taxiways Alpha, Hotel, Bravo, Charlie, Siera, 
~ Taxi to  General Aviation Parking  Via Taxiways Alpha, Hotel, Bravo, Charlie, Siera,   Beech Five One Alpha

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the input.  I will be incorporating your suggestions into a future update.

Dave