Sign in to follow this  
Airline2Sim

P3D some newbie questions

Gents, after many years of leaving P3D on the back burner due to not being able to use the half refresh vsync tweak that works so well in FSX, I've finally taken the plunge with a 30hz 4K screen and I'm very happy with the results. At a steady 30fps everywhere I'm seeing incredible performance even with HD textures and heavy weather and airports.

A couple of questions however as a long time FSX user, if you'd be so kind:

- I habitually untick sceneries that I'm not using in FSX. This is a pain as it involves fiddling around with the vector tool when re-enabling them. In P3D, can I just leave the whole scenery list ticked?

- I'm only using the in built AA and only use the nvidia inspector profile set to pre rendered frames to 3. Does anything else need to be set here?

- I haven't fiddled with the cfg at all. Is anything necessary these days with P3D?

I know many of these questions have been discussed at length in the past but I know P3D is a moving target so just wanted the most up to date advice.

Cheers all,

Ben

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Unticking sceneries is always a good idea IMHO. What the sim cannot see will not slow it down. To facilitate this, I am using SimStarter "scenery sets". These are user defined collections of sceneries that can be activated at will. I went a little further than that, and use an additional tool that removes inactive scenery entries from the cfg prior to starting the sim. I think that this improves loading times and stability.

LORBY-SI

To answer all your questions at once: if you like what you have, leave it as it is. So don't untick sceneries (I never ever saw the use in that: my sims loads quick and has no stability issues at ALL), don't use nVidia (unless you hate current AA but with a 4K monitor you should be good) and leave the cfg alone because you probably will only screw things up (LM has done a good job implementing old FSX tweaks and balancing everything out).

In short, don't fool around with and spoil time on useless things and enjoy P3D. ;) I think I can say that most P3D users will agree with this 'leave it alone and enjoy the sim' approach.

Good stuff. Appreciate the responses.

Welcome on the P3D site of things Ben for a wonderful virtual journey :-)

The only thing which is important in case of an I7 to chose the correct Affinity Mask because with P3D it makes a difference.

Further I agree with Jeroen it's actually more to find a balance in slider settings and your hardware and just go flying.

As for pre rendered frames I have the setting application controlled but again that can differ per system

For unticking sceneries never had the need to do that but then again I don't have photo real stuff wend the ORBX route;-)

Cheers,

André

I've finally taken the plunge with a 30hz 4K screen and I'm very happy with the results. At a steady 30fps everywhere I'm seeing incredible performance even with HD textures and heavy weather and airports.
Hmm, interesting.  Do you have this performance with payware airport sceneries, or you don't use them?  I have a 60 Hz 2560x1600, so not 4K.  I wonder any trick with that one.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Hmm, interesting. Do you have this performance with payware airport sceneries, or you don't use them? I have a 60 Hz 2560x1600, so not 4K. I wonder any trick with that one.

I've been working with one of our easyJet guys over the last few days and the fun airports tend to be the smaller ones, so my testing has been with places like the new version of Nice (not bad, but not Flytampa quality) and others like Skiathos, Split, Mykonos etc which are very detailed payware sceneries. The biggest hubs I've tried so far have been Taxi2gate Istanbul and Munich, both of which run really well.

4K/30hz is a good sweet spot for me as you don't need anything other than the in-game AA due to the very high resolution and the 30hz refresh rate forces the game to run at 30fps. It's as smooth as the half refresh tweak ever was in FSX, with the benefit of a lot more eye candy. Everytime I had tried P3D in the past with my 60hz screen I gave up fast due to the fact that the frame rate was all over the place and limiting it in game or in NI killed the smoothness. No going back now though!

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com