Sign in to follow this  
Manny

After I got my GTX1070 and saw the improvement I decided to do a new build

How can you be underwhelmed with an 80% increase in performance. Thats huge.

If you want higher frame rate lower settings a tad.

Unlimited frame rate helps me significantly.

I am a little underwhelmed with my FPS increase. Hmmm..

Hmm.... that's 80% performance increase? I guess.

Going from 15 to 20 is a 33.3% increase. Going from 15 to 23 is a 53.3% increase. Still... your previous PC was only 3 years old. I think a 50% FPS increase with a new PC is quite something. But I understand the disappointment: you would sort of expect or at least hope a brand new PC would give you something like 40 FPS at least where you had 15 before. But hardware doesn't develop as much and fast (anymore) as it did in the past. Going from PCI 2.0 to PCI 3.0 results in an improvement which you can hardly measure in a flightsim. The same goes for faster memory. The differences may seem huge in numbers and specs but in practice the differences are little. I don't know how fast your old CPU ran but I do think that a 3 year old CPU could run at around the same GHZ as your new one, so only the structure has changes and again, that only makes small differences. All in all an improvement of 50% when you compare a 3 year old PC with a new one (also taking into consideration that GPU drivers haven't really been updated specially for flighsims) is pretty good and what you could have expected. Mind you, I learned this the hard way. I've build various PC's in the past and each and every time I was disappointed when it came to performance in FSX and P3D. (Regular games are another story...)

Yup..you guys are right..I should be satisifed with the improvement.

BTW I discovered something with the 1070.

I initially had 3 X 24"Dell for surround view and then I had a 4th monitor (19" ELO touchscreen)  on the second card (old 560TI)

So that left me with 2 x DP out on the 1070. I just hooed up another Dell 4:3 monitor with the same 1200 resolution height as my surround. But did not add this to the surround. I then moved this new 4:3 monitor to the left of the surround (I had the 19" Dell to the right of the monitor.

So now I have

Monitor 4 (resolution 1600 x 1200)  + (Surround 1,2,3 resolution 5988 X 1200 Bezel corrected) + Monitor 5 (19"ELO 1280 x 1024)

I am able to stretch my FSX (windowed mode) to all the 5 monitors (3 virtual monitos)

It takes an FPS hit when I use the  old card (19" elo)

But if I stretch it across the left of the surround and do not stretch the view to the right monitor (ELO). I get no FPS hit.

so now I get a left window view to the surround..

What if I use the one extra dp out from the 1070 card and add another Dell 4:3 (resolution 1600 x 1200  to the right of the Surround and push the ELO touchscreen to the extreme right. I maybe able to stretch the P3D view to his new 4:3 monitor giving me right window view too? Hmmm... I need to get a DP to DVI cable.

I searched and could not find an answer to how many physical monitors I can connect to a GTX1070 card.. is it 4 or 5? It has 5 outs.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Just FYI, especially @martin-w:

I installed the Asus Suite yesterday and ran the 5WO according to the video you linked.

Result: PC did not boot after the first restart :-D

UEFI stopped booting and said "Press F1 to go into BIOS and change the overclock settings..." (or something similar).

So I reverted back and everything was fine. I deinstalled Asus Suite again. I am pretty happy w/o it.

But it's really a shame that the tool does not work for me.

you would sort of expect or at least hope a brand new PC would give you something like 40 FPS at least where you had 15 before. 

Well no, not really. That would be naive. That would be something like a 170% increase in performance. 

Just FYI, especially @martin-w:

I installed the Asus Suite yesterday and ran the 5WO according to the video you linked.

Result: PC did not boot after the first restart :-D

UEFI stopped booting and said "Press F1 to go into BIOS and change the overclock settings..." (or something similar).

So I reverted back and everything was fine. I deinstalled Asus Suite again. I am pretty happy w/o it.

But it's really a shame that the tool does not work for me.

Hi Stefan.

Are you using the latest BIOS for your board and the latest version of Ai Suite from the Asus website?

There are usually a number of restarts during the process, strange it should fail after just the first. 

Yes, I did an UEFI Update right before I downloaded and installed the ASUS Suite.

Well... I am ok with my config at the moment. So I guess the ASUS Suite is not for me ;-) But that's ok.

Yes, I saw in the video that there are some reboots. But mine is just hanging after the first reboot.

UEFI shows clock mulitpliers of 41, 41, 42, 43 after the first boot and hang. So I guess it changed something but this did not work well... 

Weird, not come across that before.Some do have issues of course, as with any software, but that's a first for me.

Which motherboard is it? May be that there's a need for Asus to update the BIOS further. "improved stability" updates are common with boards for new architectures.

I'm almost ready to build my system, I intend to give 5WO a fair trial, so we will see how I get on.

I'm sure, as you're happy, you won't want to mess about, but it's worth remembering that in 5WO, TPU 1 overclocks just the multiplier and TPU 2 overclocks the BCLK too. If you had it on TPU 2, trying TPU 1 might yield better results. Just for reference.

No, I had it on TPU 1! No idea why it did not work.

The "manual" overclocking works good at the moment, so I am not giving it a try again.

That's too much fiddling around with settings for a rather small increase in performance :-)

Thanks for your help by the way!

Edit: MB is an Asus Z170-A

I have the Z170-A too.

I'll post my results with 5WO when I've built in a few days. Just waiting for monitor and a few bits.

My experience with 5WO is that it seems best to follow the Asus how-to video (post #43) pretty closely.

TPU11 only got me to 4.2 while another run with All Cores about 4.3.

Admittedly I ran each of these only once.

So that would be TPU1, Per Core and No Target CPU anything.

Using these, day one produced 4.5.

Did a re-run next day but started from Asus optimal ratio which 5WO decided was 4.3.

This time it went up to a crash at 5.0.

After reboot I had cores of 49,49,48, 48 so pretty happy with that.

My 3200 XMP memory though was reset to 21xx something.

I re-enabled the XMP profile and reduced all cores to 48 as a compromise and so far so good.

So if you don't first get the result you want definitely worth running 5WO multiple times.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

TPU1 and from Asus optimal ratio. That's interesting.

Did you select AVX for the stress tests or not?

And what about test duration? The default 15 seconds per test is only stable for 80% of systems apparently. I'm thinking that for my bash I'll increase the stress test duration. Max is 30 mins per test I recall, and I think there are 8 tests. I'm thinking 10 mins per test, total 80 Mins.  

TPU1 and from Asus optimal ratio. That's interesting.

Did you select AVX for the stress tests or not?

And what about test duration? The default 15 seconds per test is only stable for 80% of systems apparently. I'm thinking that for my bash I'll increase the stress test duration. Max is 30 mins per test I recall, and I think there are 8 tests. I'm thinking 10 mins per test, total 80 Mins.  

No chickened out there and did not use AVX.

Test duration was a minute, from memory.

I ran the Real Bench stress test for an hour afterwards with no problems

Temp was about 48C (+/-3C) above ambient and that was with HT on.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Overclock would have been lower of course with AVX tested. As long as you don't run Prime95 or anything associated with AVX all should be well.

I should be up and running soon. Corsair Strafe keyboard with Cherry MX Silent keys arrived yesterday. Lovely keyboard and so quiet for mechanical switches. A nice Logitech G502 Proteus RGB mouse too. Monitor today.

4.8 is really a LOT!

I can get to 4.7 with 1.39V.... But I went back to 4.5 so my system is completely quiet :-) I really love this.

Full load, no noise at all.