Sign in to follow this  
Gabi B

FPS on P3D v3 - Strange Behavior

Hi to everyone,

It's my first post here because you guys solved me the other problem that I had, so, for that, a big thank you. 

But now I've encountered a problem that no one seems to have, and I'm recurring to you for help.

I'm running P3D Pro Plus v3.3.5, on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 7559. I know that Desktop PCs are better, but I'm also a University Student and I needed a laptop, so I decided to buy one to play P3D on medium settings. My specs are:

i7-6800HQ - 2.6 - 3.2 Ghz

GTX960M - 4GB DDR5

16GB RAM

P3D on a SSD

4K monitor (15.6'')

The thing is, if I run it fullscreen (either completely fullscreen or "windowed fullscreen") I get around 20-25 FPS on the Aerosoft Airbus, in a payware scenery (e.g. JustSim Linz), with broken clouds and REX4; at 4K resolution. But, if I go into windowed mode and shrink the window about 20%, I get like 30-40 FPS. I thought that it was the result of the "lower resolution" that now I was having on my screen, so I decided to change it to 1920x1080 to prove my point. I did that but nothing changed, the figures were the same. I even plugged an external 1080p TV to see if maybe the downscaling was causing this issue, but to no avail. Exactly the same as above. I'm really confused. 

If someone need some screenshots or files to see what may be wrong, just ask, I'll be in the library with my PC studying  :Cuppa:

Thanks in advance, and a special thanks to the admins of AVSIM for keeping this FS knowledge database alive.

Gabriel Barresi

I thought that it was the result of the "lower resolution" that now I was having on my screen, so I decided to change it to 1920x1080 to prove my point. I did that but nothing changed, the figures were the same. I even plugged an external 1080p TV to see if maybe the downscaling was causing this issue, but to no avail. Exactly the same as above. I'm really confused.

Yes, does sound a bit contrary.

When you say you changed it to 1920x1080, was this by changing

the screen resolution of the laptop itself or by changing the resolution in P3D settings?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Tried both options, but got the same results.

It should be a "coding" or config problem, because what i shrink the window the resolution is set at 4K, so the computer now should be rendering about 75-80% of 3840x2160... way more than 1080p

Gabi B

But, if I go into windowed mode and shrink the window about 20%, I get like 30-40 FPS. I thought that it was the result of the "lower resolution" that now I was having on my screen, so I decided to change it to 1920x1080 to prove my point. I did that but nothing changed, the figures were the same. I even plugged an external 1080p TV to see if maybe the downscaling was causing this issue, but to no avail. Exactly the same as above. I'm really confused.

It should be a "coding" or config problem, because what i shrink the window the resolution is set at 4K, so the computer now should be rendering about 75-80% of 3840x2160... way more than 1080p

Almost sounds like you are not running 4K at the start at all but 1080.
Can you confirm you have only a 4K resolution entry in the p3d.cfg when the P3D resolution setting is set to 4K?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Almost sounds like you are not running 4K at the start at all but 1080.

Can you confirm you have only a 4K resolution entry in the p3d.cfg when the P3D resolution setting is set to 4K?

gb.

No, it's definitely running 4K. The difference is brutal.

And yes, it shows 3840x2160x32 in the p3d.cfg

Gabi B

PS: I can't figure out how to upload files in case of needing it. 

PS: I can't figure out how to upload files in case of needing it.

Can't post directly. Have to link to somewhere.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/479802-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot/

gb.