Sign in to follow this  
CloudSurfer

Anti-Icing/Heater Systems

The DC-6 has multiple systems for fuel heat, anti-icing etc.. and I wondered if fuel freezing was modelled/the fuel heaters operated, and about things like air-frame icing, etc..?

I'm still new to X-Plane and learning about what it supports in this area, and what I can expect from the DC-6?

Could someone more familiar with X-Plane go over what it supports/models in this area?

Thanks!

Rob Smith.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Fuel heating is not to prevent freezing, gasoline is not subject to freezing like kerosene.  The heating is to support the vaporization that must occur in the carburetors.

I cannot speak to the abilities of XPL, we didn't test any icing scenarios during testing and in fact the default weather was so bad I never used it. Sorry no help there.

The fuel freezing was more an X-Plane than DC-6 question. :D

I did some searching and discovered that the X-Plane "icing" adds weight to the aircraft, and doesn't actually affect the aerodynamic model the way icing should.

Apparent Austin has acknowledged the problems of the current system and is looking to improve them.

At the moment the effect of icing is pretty severe, which some are suggesting is deliberate given its FAA certification, in order to dissuade flight into icing conditions.

I haven't tried flying the DC-6 into icing yet to see what happens. I've already experienced carb icing (deliberate).

Rob Smith.