Sign in to follow this  
maukro_1990

Cockpit lights option: Realistic?

Hello, 

i saw an light colour option in the fmc options. It´s possible to change the colours of the cockpit etc. (night lights, dim ....) and i´m asking myself how is it in the real world? Are there different cockpit light colours in some airlines? Can you post a video where i can see this? 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

how is it in the real world?

How we modeled it.

Are there different cockpit light colours in some airlines?

No.

Can you post a video where i can see this? 

Not applicable because the above answer is no, but I'll also mention something else that a lot of simmers either forget or don't know about:

Cameras are not your eyes. I know that sounds stupid, but it's true. 'White' to a camera is not the same 'white' as your eyes see, and even that changes. If you walk down a lighting aisle at your local hardware store, note the different 'white' lights - yellows (warm whites), whites, blues (cool whites), and so on - and if you take a picture of that with your phone, the colors will be slightly off even from what you're seeing in front of you. The camera has to determine what 'white' is in order to set the rest of the colors relative to it. So, if you're looking at pictures, or at videos, you're seeing a camera that may or may not have been "white balanced" (white balancing attempts to get as close to what your eye would see). Even if it's balanced, it still might be off due to the high contrast environment of the flight deck. Keep in mind as well that the screens are also light sources, and cameras are sensitive to that. If you have a TV remote, you can aim it at most cameras and it will pick that up while your eye will not.

TL;DR: If you're looking at photos and videos as "what is correct," this is not entirely appropriate when it comes to color/hue.

Most of this photo is white, but none of it actually is: link.