Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

how does one rebuild the fs9 config file

Im looking at rebuilding the config file and am a little confused on how to do it. I heardthat all you have to do is rename it to whatever and next time you start up fs it will rebuild it. But I also heard that all you have to do is delete it and fs9 will rebuild. What should I do, What should I do.Thank you Gerry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Either option will work. If you have any custom settings in the present cfg, rename it and let fs9 rebuild it. You can then decide what you want to migrate to the new file.

>Im looking at rebuilding the config file and am a little>confused on how to do it. I heardthat all you have to do is>rename it to whatever and next time you start up fs it will>rebuild it. But I also heard that all you have to do is delete>it and fs9 will rebuild. What should I do, What should I do.>>>Thank you >GerryBoth are correct, in their own way. If you rename then a NEW FS9.cfg is created at boot up. YOu re-set your preferences and you're good to go. You can then quit out of the sim, open the `old` file you renamed and compare with the new.FS9.cfg can also be deleted, but then you wouldn't have anything to compare the new one to. You'd think.But actually there is an auto-created backup called FS9.cfg.txt already on your hard drive. MS thought of that!Finally, WHY are you rebuilding the FS9.cfg? There is very little gain if you haven't butchered every line in there, and you WILL lose all your additions and amendments to the FS9.cfg, such as custom assignments, any amendments to basic settings. Be sure that's what you want to do before gong down that route - it can take ages to put everything back the way it was if you made adjustments and additions over a long period of time.Allcott

Gerry,I can't understand why you need to rebuild the FS9.CFG file. If you can't get FS to run I suggest you edit it and make the following change to the STARTUP section...SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1That will allow you to choose your aircraft, location and date/time. Select a default aircraft and airport. If it loads okay then problem resolved. That's always been my preferred way of starting FS9.It it still won't start then report back with the problem you're getting.Cheers,

Thanks for all the replies and the advice, The reason for it is I read a thread earlier on(on this forum) that someone was having a hard time with keeping the aircraft lined up( a constant application of rudder) and Im having the same problem, its as if im holding left rudder but im actually not.It was sugested to rebuild the config file and it worked for the person in question(I dont see how but it did) so I thought I would try. It might be my joystick(Twist handle one :( I tried recalibrating a bunch of times but just wont work. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?Thanks againP.S I really dont want to rebuild the config but my flight sim is unplayable now because without a joystick its no fun, Cant use the keyboard because takes all the realism away.Thanks againGerry

Gerry,If you have a registered copy of FSUIPC I suggest you try recalibrating your joystick with that. It's far superior to the calibration in Game Controllers / Control Panel.Even if you don't have FSUIPC try a recalibration. It may just do the trick.Cheers,

What I'd do is what Ray says, but after going into the control menu with FS running and just resetting the joystick controls to default! That will at least give you a baseline. Allcott