Sign in to follow this  
MarioDonick

Android apps? Or apps that still run on the old iPad 1?

Hi all,

I use Navigraph Charts in a 10" android tablet, and "simbrief" for dispatching (just a web page in this case).

I have an old iPad '1' kicking around as well. The lucky thing is that I've owned it since new, so as long as I don't delete anything, the original apps that I had downloaded back still work. I've used it with the RemoteFlight Radio and cockpit apps. I've also used it for pdf charts, and for pdf manuals while familiarizing myself with controls on complex airplanes.

It may or may not be tricky to actually download much now, because most app developers have updated their stuff to work with newer versions of iOS, meaning that if you delete one of the apps from an old iPad, and the new version isn't compatible with the old iOS installed on that iPad, you're not getting the app back.  This is going to be a serious issue if you have just acquired an old device.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

For the iPad 1, try "AirTrack". It works perfect with AC that use X-Plane's standard FMC and I literally never fly without it. Due to the NOAA url update the weather report is currently broken, but I suppose there will be an update.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

For the iPad 1, try "AirTrack".

Air Track requires iOS 8.1 or newer. I can't recall where my old iPad quit being available for the newest iOS upgrades, but it's nowhere's near iOS 8.

Older iOS devices quit being supported by Apple at some point, and fall off of the iOS upgrade path.  I have a bit of problem with this, since app developers are often forced to update their apps to maintain compatibility with the newer versions of iOS, but yet Apple doesn't allow any sort of method of keeping or searching older builds for older devices. Which means that you better not ever have to reset that old device, because you'll never get half the applications back that you once had. Forced obsolescence at it's finest.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.