Sign in to follow this  
fontuckydick

Question about installed copies of FS9 in Win7 64bit

Hello. I have a question on how to use one original install of FS2004 (FS9) in the "C" drive of OS Win7 64bit. And another install of updated copy saved to disk (DVD) which I installed on desktop. I check the Scenery files from orig. install and go to "Cities" and open open "Properties" "sharing" and it shows they are not shared. I do the same in the desktop copy and it shows they are shared. I only did this kind of install because my updated FS2004 crashed, but not before I saved it to a DVD. The copy I saved to DVD is the updated FS2004 version 9.1 plus the new World Trade Center scenery, the new Gibraltar scenery plus all the add on bridges. I lost all the updates when it FS9 crashed. So I reinstalled FS2004 using the 4 disks, downloaded update to ver. 9.1 but couldnt remember how to reinstall the new scenery. So I just installed another copy on desktop from my DVD. Now I want to install a new scenery update for the Stmaarten airport. Im afraid if I delete the reinstalled copy in the "C" drive then the copy I have on desktop wont work anymore. So do I have to install the new Stmaarten scenery in both copies? Or just the desktop copy since it is a shared copy. Thankyou from fontuckydick

Very hard on the eyes when you type in bold!!

Why do you have a shared copy?

If you have the install that you want to use on DVD, I assume this is your backup?

Copy that into your c:\ drive

Right click it's fs9.exe & send to your desktop

Go to   http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & download the Registry Repair Tool, run that & tell it where the fs9.cfg is.

(Not the desktop shortcut, but the fs9.exe in the copied sim folder.

Run the FS9.exe & all should be well.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I like bold .... really.  Easier to see.

I don't know why I have a shared copy. Thats the way the desktop copy installed. I assume "shared" meant it uses the other copy (Original reinstall) that is in the "C" drive which is already renamed "fs9.exe. I prefer the desktop copy as it runs perfectly with all the updates and scenery downloads. Thanks.

You can have more than 1x version of FS2004 on your PC, all totally separate & individual. I have 3, a 'normal' version, a Golden Wings version & a Ford Tri-Motor version. All not sharing anything. I also have yet another version on a portable hard drive that I copy & paste at our VA.

Things should not be shared, apart from scenery, that', if you are running, lets say the normal version with 'Glacier Bay' scenery, & you want that scenery in your second install of the sim, you can, point the second sim's scenery library to the scenery you want that's in the normal version of the sim.

So, your sharing situation is a bit confusing, but, if it works for you, great. :hi: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...