Sign in to follow this  
Swinden

Very long ILS approaches

I've noticed when flying into smaller airports with an ILS approach, I'm sent downwind for over 50 miles. One time, I was sent so far downwind that when I was finally turned for the 50 mile final, I was vectored into a mountain. 

Thanks,

Matt

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Matt,

Nothing to do with the size of the airport. It's because the airport is close to mountains and whilst RC knows they're around it doesn't know their precise direction.

What you should have done is turn on NOTAMS for the arrival airport in the Controller Info screen. That will result in ATC instructing you to descend "if able". You use your own judgement to decide if it is.

Same rule applies to departing airports in mountainous areas.

The best way to handle airports in mountainous territory is to use charts. At 40 nm out after approach assigns a runway you can request an IAP approach which disables vectors. RC will not monitor you until on final. You then navigate on your own according the the approach charts.

US/FAA charts (current) are free from flightaware.com. UK charts on line free are available from:

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=165&Itemid=3.html

no registration required. Eurozone free on line charts are available from:

http://ead-website.ead-it.com/publicuser/public/pu/login.jsp

registration required. Learn their query system.

If you have AIRAC database compatible flight planners and navgear get a one-off subscription to AIRAC data from either Aerosoft (NAVDATA PRO) or Navigraph's FMC package.

I forgot to mention that for smaller aircraft an option is available in RC to request a shorter down wind to to turn to base. Whether this would be applicable depends on the terrain obstacles