Sign in to follow this  
MAHLER

Graphics card FS2004

Recently my old ATI Radeon HD5750 card has given up the ghost . I would appreciate any recommendations for any newer compatible  card,

Nvidia or AMT

I want to keep my existing OS, which is :-

Windows XP

Intel DP%%WB inc Core i7-870 2.93Ghz 8mb

2 KVR 2GB 1333Mhz DDR3

1 PSU500 Zalman 500W

1PSU Seasonic 350W

Thanks

Mike

I believe anything nVidia with a name ending in '60' or lower should work - ie GTX 960, 950, 760, etc.  The '70' and '80' models (ie GTX 970, 980) or any of the 1000 series I don't believe work with XP.  The older the card you can find, the better, I would say.

For Radeon I'm sorry I don't know.

With your hardware performance should be more than adequate.

David

CYXE

David, CYXE

FS9 doesn't require much of a gfx card at all, most calculations happen in the CPU.

Check for XP driver availability before you buy.

I think something like a GTX 750 Ti would be ok.

It's the amount of antialiasing you want that might have you looking for something better though.

My GTX 970 4GB does 16xS + 8xSS easily in ANY weather. (around 50-60% GPU usage in major thunderstorm)

I have been using an NVidia GTX560 Ti for several years now and find it excellent.  It is still available for a very modest price if you do the usual web searches.  Buying the very latest, and expensive!, cards doesn't necessarily translate into better performance.  If my current card were to fail then I would definitely get the same again and save my money.

Dijvid

Thanks for your comments.Interestingly I purchased the GTX750TI last week last week  but found the texture  quality unacceptable ,ie white doors on the c172 as well as white props and spinners in exterior views,   some aircraft were unaffected texturally, but altogether obviously not compatible with my OS, tried the GT610...exactly the same no good, I would also add that I use Nvidia Inspector for fine antialiasing tuning. I'm beginning to suspect that I need to get a really older card to get the superb textural quality of my defunct ATI HD5750, would appreciate more comments before I shell out further.

Thanks

Mike

The latest XP driver for your GTX750TI is 368.81, if this is the one which gave you the white doors, spinners etc. try an older one, preferably the one that shipped with the card when new.

Thanks A32 will try, however I've also read some comments elsewhere that this texture issue started with Nvidia driver updates after  320.00.... there are no earlier drivers for this card.

Have you tried uninstalling and sweeping your system of all gfx card drivers (both AMD and Nvidia) and then installing the latest driver?

Use a program called "Display Driver Uninstaller" for this.

Thanks Peter,

That's one action I have not exploited, worth a go.

It would be nice to know whether anyone else out there uses GTX750TI on a windows XP OS, mine is XP Pro.

FS9 doesn't require much of a gfx card at all, most calculations happen in the CPU.

Nevertheless you use a highend GTX970 ... A performant GPU indisputably increases FS9 display and allows to run it in a higher resolution.

Have you tried uninstalling and sweeping your system of all gfx card drivers (both AMD and Nvidia) and then installing the latest driver?

Use a program called "Display Driver Uninstaller" for this.

I did this last week and it upped my fps by around 10% plus no more stuttering! NEver did that before and there were still bits of an old ATI driver running. I can only second this recommendation!

Further experience with the GTX750 card, I find by unchecking "transform & lighting" in the hardware settings ,the problem

is completely solved, however, the  price you pay is very blurry scenery when in flight,and the frame rates are reduced almost  by half.....always a trade off haha.

You should not turn off "transform & lighting", it's part of the hardware acceleration that FS9 uses (DirectX 7 or was it 8 maybe).

The problem must lie elsewhere. Have you tried installing the complete DirectX9.0c redist package?

Has anyone considered that the card itself might be duff?  Just a thought, that's all.

Dijvid

I had this same problem when I tried the 344 driver on my XP system a while back, which still has a GTX 560ti.  The problem went away when I reverted back to my original XP driver (301).  I'm curious how this turns out because my video card is over 5 years old now and won't last forever.  I'm thinking of picking up 750ti or even a 960 as a replacement but that will require the newer 'problem' drivers.

David

CYXE

David, CYXE